Thread: 305 vs 350

Default 305 vs 350

Has anyone ever ran a 305 instead of a 350 if so what was your thoughts on it and how did it turn out for you? I know the 305 wouldn't do to great on a 3/8 mile or 1/2 mile track but I'm more interested in what it would do on a 1/5 mile or 1/4mile.

Quote Originally Posted by faustfan2 View Post
    Has anyone ever ran a 305 instead of a 350 if so what was your thoughts on it and how did it turn out for you? I know the 305 wouldn't do to great on a 3/8 mile or 1/2 mile track but I'm more interested in what it would do on a 1/5 mile or 1/4mile.
    I've never run a 305, but have always thought it might be worth a try for tracks to have a street-type class with the engine rule being it must be a chevy 305 block casting. That block limits a lot of things you can do to a motor. Plus, they're a dime-a-dozen.

Might not do too bad on a small track but wouldn't really be able to compete for a win against 350+ motors. Just have to keep it flat footed all the way around the corners which actually might make it easier to drive.

We run 305s in our stock class weekly. We travel to a handful of tracks that allow 350s... We run even and beat them more often then not. I guess we're just set up better