Default Tire Temps and Why

What are thoughts as to tire temps on a car front and rear? This is an opinion I hear go both ways from racers. Question is what causes more heat in a tire? The tire with the least amount of traction or the tire hooked up the best?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR_Products View Post
    What are thoughts as to tire temps on a car front and rear? This is an opinion I hear go both ways from racers. Question is what causes more heat in a tire? The tire with the least amount of traction or the tire hooked up the best?
    All the tires slip. The one with the most load on it, when it slips, will be the hottest. If you lr tire is ice cold, I promise you the car is loose on exit.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    All the tires slip. The one with the most load on it, when it slips, will be the hottest. If you lr tire is ice cold, I promise you the car is loose on exit.
    I agree 100%. Now for cars that are getting looser say 5 laps in. Any thoughts as to why?

Tire temps tell you everything really critical in asphalt dirt can be skewed at times or lets say harder to read but you don't want any too far from the others if ones cold find a way to load it. If your tight and the RR is the hottest it could say your roll center is too low. If the middle of the tire is hotter then the inside it could mean you need to assess air pressure but this is harder with the softer sidewalls on dirt if your LR is colder then the RR your loose most of the time. I was told the car is quickest will have some slippage around 10%. This is why you've I'm sure heard guys talk about traction control and how it slowed them down well that's why you have to control your contact patch how it deflects stretches what have you. Average each tire, inside middle and outer, then average your fronts, average your rears. Your lefts your rights and your cross groupings this can help you decide if you maybe have too much rear weight your rear temp averages will be higher telling you that you need more weight over the fronts which will also help your steer tires turn

I agree 100%. Now for cars that are getting looser say 5 laps in. Any thoughts as to why?
    Can be many things.

Shock issue?
    If different compounds on lr and rr, the rr can start out-working the lr.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The RR gets heat in it sooner and starts out working left rear.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Now I know the shocks aren't issue as far as cavitation or a heat issue so I ruled this out. But any other thoughts?

What do the tires look like? Similar Grain? Is your stagger changing? Whats your weights? What kind of grooving and siping are you using, are the tires fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    What do the tires look like? Similar Grain? Is your stagger changing? Whats your weights? What kind of grooving and siping are you using, are the tires fresh?
    This wouldn't be with our cars. I am going by what we see on others. It seems we have noticed cars around 5 laps in will drop 1/2 a sec then a caution flys and either tires cool, stagger closes up, or??? We thougt a shock issue could still be part of it for others but for us we don't see that occurring. Any ideas?.. When they go green again they're running same times then 5laps in same things occurs.

Probably wrong tires for track conditions. Too many racers try to get even temps side to side and front to rear on dirt cars.This will not work! I have found only one book that comes close for dirt racing. It is CP Furneys ,Selection and application of dirt late model tires.He gives a lot of info on this and other important subjects that I have never seen in other books. A VERY good read!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post
    Probably wrong tires for track conditions. Too many racers try to get even temps side to side and front to rear on dirt cars.This will not work! I have found only one book that comes close for dirt racing. It is CP Furneys ,Selection and application of dirt late model tires.He gives a lot of info on this and other important subjects that I have never seen in other books. A VERY good read!!!
    My experience has been mostly different. All tires have a heat range. If both rears are the same compound, they better be getting close in temp.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

He gives those heat ranges for D-series Hoosiers in his book. Theres enough range to put you out of the ball park if youre not careful

Another thing to remember here is that the rear axle friction coefficient includes BOTH rear tires. You lose the right side from overheating you will also lose lateral g friction coefficient of the whole rear of the car.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

What is everyone finding the tires are doing these days? Have you noticed a huge durometer change from new to used etc etc? Are the tires getting hot and getting harder/softer?