Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ump tires

Default Ump tires

have always been on ar's but track going ump this year. so what works best on a semi dry track that can rut up a little.3 large tires and one small. or 3 small and one large. thanks for any input.

I like the 3 small and a large rr. on a small dry slick track.

that's how we do it. 26.5 on LF, RF, LR, 27.5 on RR

Tire sizes vary upon track size, banking angle, and car set up. There is the D40 (soft) compound, A40 (medium) compound and the H40 (hard) compound. Stay away from the A40. Use the H40 on the very heavy(bad fast) surface. If its not real heavy use the D40. Once it dries out and starts to slick up go back to the H40. Keep those tires warm under cautions. If the track dry dry slick and starting to rubber up use the D40. The H40 is the best option. Many may disagree, I tell em prove me wrong.

i thought the h was like a brick?

The H is very hard tire. Get some warmth in the rubber and its a different animal. Its made from a different type of rubber than the A and D. The tread is a touch deeper and the side sipes are a little wider. The tire lights fast for restarts and don't fade away quick once heat builds up. My opinion is get the H hot and keep it hot as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by twisterf5 View Post
    have always been on ar's but track going ump this year. so what works best on a semi dry track that can rut up a little.3 large tires and one small. or 3 small and one large. thanks for any input.
    Be prepared to spend about twice as much on tires, than you were with the AR's. Some guys run 3 26.5 and 1 27.5, and some guys run 3- 27.5 and 1 26.5, while others run 4 of the same. They will vary in size enough that occasionally you might find a soft 26.5 bigger than a hard 27.5. If you need ground clearance go with 27.5, if not go with 26.5 on the front. Use what you have to to get the stagger right on the rear. Usually a 27.5 and a 26.5 will give you 3 1/2 " of stagger. It is hard to find 2" without having a huge selection of tires to pick through.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous24 View Post
    The H is very hard tire. Get some warmth in the rubber and its a different animal. Its made from a different type of rubber than the A and D. The tread is a touch deeper and the side sipes are a little wider. The tire lights fast for restarts and don't fade away quick once heat builds up. My opinion is get the H hot and keep it hot as possible.
    I have always herd that the H was different rubber, So this year at the PRI show, I got to talk to the Hoosier Dirt tire guy, and I asked him that very question. He laughed and said that was the biggest urban legend in racing. He claims its just a harder version of the same compound as the A, there is nothing like on is synthetic rubber and one is natural rubber or any of that nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous24 View Post
    Tire sizes vary upon track size, banking angle, and car set up. There is the D40 (soft) compound, A40 (medium) compound and the H40 (hard) compound. Stay away from the A40. Use the H40 on the very heavy(bad fast) surface. If its not real heavy use the D40. Once it dries out and starts to slick up go back to the H40. Keep those tires warm under cautions. If the track dry dry slick and starting to rubber up use the D40. The H40 is the best option. Many may disagree, I tell em prove me wrong.
    well just picked up some tire had to go with 4 27.5 for now.and had to go with a's track will not let you run D's. knowing 20 + cars are going to have to have tires after rule change they only had enough to shoe 3 cars. but got about 2in in the rear will get some 26.5 next week. what kind of air pressure are you guy running on these tire. they have allot harder side walls than my ar's.

heavy duty please tell me why the hoosiers cost so much more? I race some at wartburg I know you know where that is and we have been on the ar's the last 2yrs and I have spent twice as much on them than I was on hoosiers. they have went back to hoosier only this year so im happy about that.me and several other guys were having issues with them going flat every time on the track. never could get 2 nights out of them because a rock would stick threw the tires or a very small gash in the thin sidewall would ruin them.. the hoosier tire is a stiffer tire and they use more rubber than ar does to cover the tire cords. I know some places sell these tire less than hoosier but when the tires are so thin and you have to buy 4 new ones every week how is that saving money. these tires cost the same as the ump hoosier does at most ar dealers except here in Tennessee one week they charge $90 per tire then the next week they say $100 but the dealer in Alabama charges the same as hoosier and wants $125 per tire?? It blows my mind when I call ar say in Kentucky and they say cant sell them to you you have to buy from your local dealer in Tennessee but I can get them from Alabama. you don't see hoosier saying that to you

Quote Originally Posted by AJGARBER70 View Post
    heavy duty please tell me why the hoosiers cost so much more? I race some at wartburg I know you know where that is and we have been on the ar's the last 2yrs and I have spent twice as much on them than I was on hoosiers. they have went back to hoosier only this year so im happy about that.me and several other guys were having issues with them going flat every time on the track. never could get 2 nights out of them because a rock would stick threw the tires or a very small gash in the thin sidewall would ruin them.. the hoosier tire is a stiffer tire and they use more rubber than ar does to cover the tire cords. I know some places sell these tire less than hoosier but when the tires are so thin and you have to buy 4 new ones every week how is that saving money. these tires cost the same as the ump hoosier does at most ar dealers except here in Tennessee one week they charge $90 per tire then the next week they say $100 but the dealer in Alabama charges the same as hoosier and wants $125 per tire?? It blows my mind when I call ar say in Kentucky and they say cant sell them to you you have to buy from your local dealer in Tennessee but I can get them from Alabama. you don't see hoosier saying that to you
    I just paid 135 + tax each for Hoosier a40 and they are not as wide as my ar's

They do cut down easier, if you are on a rocky track, but in my experience,I haven't cut many more AR tires down as hoosiers.If I am running a racetrack that pokes rock holes in the tire, I will usually run a hoosier on the RR. My experience is that they don't heat cycle out as fast as the ump tire. You don't have to put new ones on as often to stay competitive. We run the hard tire rule, a or h40 hoosier or hard American racers. The a40 tire needs to be replaced long before they wear out because they slow down. The AR stays fast until they are worn out. If you are running at a track that allows d40 or med AR, the d40 will tear and ruin the tire if the track starts getting harder, where the med AR will stay usually run without tearing. They usually cost about $15 less per tire than the UMP tire, but the savings are due to the amount of tires you need to buy, unless your track is cutting them down. That has been my experience.
    Last edited by HEAVY DUTY; 02-22-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QQQQ View Post
    I have always herd that the H was different rubber, So this year at the PRI show, I got to talk to the Hoosier Dirt tire guy, and I asked him that very question. He laughed and said that was the biggest urban legend in racing. He claims its just a harder version of the same compound as the A, there is nothing like on is synthetic rubber and one is natural rubber or any of that nonsense
    My very good friend works at Hoosier. I am speaking fact

When I called Hoosier I got the same story. It's all the same latex polymer.
    When I called a popular tire prep manufacturer, they agreed. Latex polymer.

Thanks for the info I completely agree with everything you said.

I spoke with a Hoosier tech and he told me that the D and H are the same, but the A is a synthetic rubber.

Sounds like we are all getting a different story. Sounds about right.

what would you start off with for air pressures on a40's being that they have harder side walls.

LF 10 LR 9 RF 14 RR 13 should get you close.

I personally recommend starting at the 11 to 12 pound range on the left side and 13 to 15 pounds on the right. If your really hooking up the wheel can rotate within the tire at lower air pressure

You just need to remember that Heavy Duty is anti Hoosier and anti UMP so you need to take anything he says with a grain of salt anyway!
    I absolutely know what I am talking about!