Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ump tires

Quote Originally Posted by $UMP$ View Post
    You just need to remember that Heavy Duty is anti Hoosier and anti UMP so you need to take anything he says with a grain of salt anyway!
    Heavy Duty is 100% right when it comes to the heat cycle deal.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Heavy Duty is right darn near 100% of the time on his view on racing, and were it is going, and tires, motors.

He is not anti UMP/ Hoosier. he see's them for what they are all for. Lining their own pockets, while racing car counts are going down, and down each year.

let the keyboard bashing begin by $UMP$ and all his cronies, and different screen names.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

My experience with HD is the same, if my post was interpreted otherwise. I see how it could have been.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

As far as flat tires , the worst run of flats I've ever seen was 2012 July August , open A mod , we had over 20 flats , all Hoosiers . May June 2 on ARs . Was it the tires , probably not , but cost us a bunch of $ . Take it for what its worth.

$UMP$ , you really don't know me very well, do you? I was instrumental in getting Bob Memmer to sanction the modifieds with UMP in about 1990. The first set of UMP rules were typed up by my mother for Bob. I sponsored UMP for a number of seasons, and give chassis or greatly discounted chassis to the UMP champion. I race UMP a few times a year, but have to travel 3 hrs minimum to get to a UMP track. I plan on running the AMS series full time this year. I do not like the way the tire deal has went over the years. I don't think it is right for the racers to have to pay their own way. I don't think it is right for a tire to be overpriced, so that the tire company can pay race tracks to be a one tire only deal. I don't like a tire company to make the decisions on what is best for the racers, and what type of races can and cant be run at a racetrack. I think that a sanctioning body as big as UMP or World racing group, should be able to sell sponsorship to a large corporation to cover their point fund, without making the racer pay for it through tire money. Just about every sanction body takes the easy way out by taking tire money, not just UMP.I do think UMP, and some other sanctioning bodies need to look at ways to save money. Racing is suffering because of the cost to race. It will have to change, or there wont be enough tracks or cars to put on a good show. There are some tracks that are still doing well, but for every one that is doing good, there are 10 more that are closing or struggling. I have been around this sport for a long time, and don't remember it being as bad as it is now, not even in the 80s when the economy was as bad or worse than it is now. We have very few racetracks in our area that are even open anymore, and the ones that are, are just running a limited schedule.

Nice response HD,..as far as tire pressures what do you recomend for the amra rule hoosiers?they seem to have a very soft sidewall...I ran 10 on left and 12 on the right on very dryslick rough track with a sportmod and it didnt workout well....popped 2 right side rears....this isa sportmod type class what would you suggest.....maybe 12ls 14rs??

Quote Originally Posted by $UMP$ View Post
    You just need to remember that Heavy Duty is anti Hoosier and anti UMP so you need to take anything he says with a grain of salt anyway!
    and you must also remember that some people just enjoy paying 30 bucks more for each tire they buy for no (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good reason for an inferior product from Hoosier. The AR tire performs better and lasts longer and is cheaper.

In the end settling for the 40 series Hoosier tire would be the same as going to Sears for tires for your street vehicle and telling the counter person " Yes please O please charge me 30 to 40 bucks more for each tire for my car and I want the ones that are only good for 30k miles instead of 60k miles for that price please "

Quote Originally Posted by purestock45 View Post
    Nice response HD,..as far as tire pressures what do you recomend for the amra rule hoosiers?they seem to have a very soft sidewall...I ran 10 on left and 12 on the right on very dryslick rough track with a sportmod and it didnt workout well....popped 2 right side rears....this isa sportmod type class what would you suggest.....maybe 12ls 14rs??
    I normally run 15 to 18 in the right side and 12 in the left side, with the AMRA Hoosier depending on track speed and roughness. Same on the American Racer open tire. Less air and they stay on the sidewall too much.

Thanks HD,preciate the help........jc

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVY DUTY View Post
    $UMP$ , you really don't know me very well, do you? I was instrumental in getting Bob Memmer to sanction the modifieds with UMP in about 1990. The first set of UMP rules were typed up by my mother for Bob. I sponsored UMP for a number of seasons, and give chassis or greatly discounted chassis to the UMP champion. I race UMP a few times a year, but have to travel 3 hrs minimum to get to a UMP track. I plan on running the AMS series full time this year. I do not like the way the tire deal has went over the years. I don't think it is right for the racers to have to pay their own way. I don't think it is right for a tire to be overpriced, so that the tire company can pay race tracks to be a one tire only deal. I don't like a tire company to make the decisions on what is best for the racers, and what type of races can and cant be run at a racetrack. I think that a sanctioning body as big as UMP or World racing group, should be able to sell sponsorship to a large corporation to cover their point fund, without making the racer pay for it through tire money. Just about every sanction body takes the easy way out by taking tire money, not just UMP.I do think UMP, and some other sanctioning bodies need to look at ways to save money. Racing is suffering because of the cost to race. It will have to change, or there wont be enough tracks or cars to put on a good show. There are some tracks that are still doing well, but for every one that is doing good, there are 10 more that are closing or struggling. I have been around this sport for a long time, and don't remember it being as bad as it is now, not even in the 80s when the economy was as bad or worse than it is now. We have very few racetracks in our area that are even open anymore, and the ones that are, are just running a limited schedule.
    And you need to remember that UMP and Hoosier did not cause the problems that you are talking about!
    I absolutely know what I am talking about!

the racers are their worst enemies