Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default His Last Daytona 500

Due to other things going on we didn't follow Speedweeks in Daytona this year at all. So, when I got the time to spend catching up on the activities in Florida I found that this, the 2014 Daytona 500, was Mr. Terry Labonte's final run in The Great American Race. And, Terry is one of the 20 finalists for induction into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Kind of a bitter sweet combination.

Besides being a great race car driver Terry Labonte was also a credit to his sport, a class individual in all circumstances who showed poise and dignity in everything he did. Even in the aftermath of being wrecked in one of the most blatant and deliberate cases of filthy driving anyone has ever seen (see Bristol August, 1999) Terry exuded class, dignity and a calmness that very, very few would have the composure to display in the post race interview following being deliberately taken out by NASCAR's "chosen one".

I could site a half dozen instances off the top of my head where Terry had every right to act a fool in the wake of some bull$hit situation caused by some idiot on the track but he took the high road, which doesn't make headlines or get the fans whipped into a frenzy. He just understood what couldn't be changed, maintained his dignity and moved on.

The sport of auto racing at nearly all levels needs many more like Mr. Terry Labonte. It's sad to see him run his final 500 but we hope he goes to the Hall of Fame on his first eligibility because if anyone deserves that honor it's Terry Labonte.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Due to other things going on we didn't follow Speedweeks in Daytona this year at all. So, when I got the time to spend catching up on the activities in Florida I found that this, the 2014 Daytona 500, was Mr. Terry Labonte's final run in The Great American Race. And, Terry is one of the 20 finalists for induction into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Kind of a bitter sweet combination.

Besides being a great race car driver Terry Labonte was also a credit to his sport, a class individual in all circumstances who showed poise and dignity in everything he did. Even in the aftermath of being wrecked in one of the most blatant and deliberate cases of filthy driving anyone has ever seen (see Bristol August, 1999) Terry exuded class, dignity and a calmness that very, very few would have the composure to display in the post race interview following being deliberately taken out by NASCAR's "chosen one".

I could site a half dozen instances off the top of my head where Terry had every right to act a fool in the wake of some bull$hit situation caused by some idiot on the track but he took the high road, which doesn't make headlines or get the fans whipped into a frenzy. He just understood what couldn't be changed, maintained his dignity and moved on.

The sport of auto racing at nearly all levels needs many more like Mr. Terry Labonte. It's sad to see him run his final 500 but we hope he goes to the Hall of Fame on his first eligibility because if anyone deserves that honor it's Terry Labonte.

Agreed....agreed....agreed.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

What was it the pusher said "I just meant to rattle his cage"

Yep, and where'd the "pusher" end up? At this point I'm thinkin' I'd rather be the "pushee" rather than the "pusher". Sometimes what goes 'round-comes 'round.......real hard.
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-17-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Yep, and where'd the "pusher" end up? At this point I'm thinkin' I'd rather be the "pushee" rather than the "pusher". Sometimes what goes 'round-comes 'round.......real hard.
    Ouch...........

I was at Bristol both times Dale Sr wiped Texas Terry out. 95 & 99 I believe. I remember in 95 Terry drove the car right into victory lane with the front end all mashed in, steam blowing everywhere. There will never be another stash in Nascar like Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Ouch...........
    Yep, BBQB, karma can be a bitch.

I do, however, get a bit ruffled when I hear that lame a$$ed victory lane quote from ironhead about just wantin' to "rattle his cage". That confirmed what I'd been sayin' for a long time about ironhead. Ironhead hit him intentionally without regard to whether it was going to wreck him or not and that was the ONLY way the 3 was going to win that race. It was a blatant cheap shot from a serial cheap shot artist that knew full well he'd get away with it. How many times did that scenario play out over the years? Many! It was a blatant cheap shot from a serial cheap shot artist. I remember someone at the time asked ironhead what it's like to be booed by 150,000 people. LOL!!

NASCAR refused to do what was fair and proper in that deal at Bristol and ironhead had known for a long time that NASCAR, and more specifically France Jr., was deep in his pocket and he could get away with most anything with the protection and blessing of NASCAR.

The same thing happened at Sears Point a few years prior to the '99 incident at Bristol between Ricky Rudd and Davey Allison. Last lap and Rudd hit's Allison and turns him and Rudd is first to cross the finish line. But, they took the win away from Ricky Rudd and gave it to Allison. Same circumstances, same result but a different ruling by NASCAR.

As usual, Terry handled the situation with class and dignity without acting a fool.

I do, however, get a bit ruffled when I hear that lame a$$ed victory lane quote from ironhead about just wantin' to "rattle his cage". That confirmed what I'd been sayin' for a long time about ironhead. Ironhead hit him intentionally without regard to whether it was going to wreck him or not and that was the ONLY way the 3 was going to win that race. It was a blatant cheap shot from a serial cheap shot artist that knew full well he'd get away with it. How many times did that scenario play out over the years? Many! It was a blatant cheap shot from a serial cheap shot artist. I remember someone at the time asked ironhead what it's like to be booed by 150,000 people. LOL!!

NASCAR refused to do what was fair and proper in that deal at Bristol and ironhead had known for a long time that NASCAR, and more specifically France Jr., was deep in his pocket and he could get away with most anything with the protection and blessing of NASCAR.

The same thing happened at Sears Point a few years prior to the '99 incident at Bristol between Ricky Rudd and Davey Allison. Last lap and Rudd hit's Allison and turns him and Rudd is first to cross the finish line. But, they took the win away from Ricky Rudd and gave it to Allison. Same circumstances, same result but a different ruling by NASCAR.

As usual, Terry handled the situation with class and dignity without acting a fool.
    You are right,I remember that race with Rudd and Allison as well. I was a big fan of Rudd and Allison and remembering that day and thought how is that any different then what SR. does Different strokes for different folks.

Thumbs up

Telling it like it is !
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Telling it like it is !

I like it..........that's the way it should be.

yes you could look at it like this or you could say la bonte let it happen being a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)

Hmmm. Labonte let it happen? Now that's a new twist on an old incident.

not hard to figure out if he would have manned up sr would have left him alone, thats the way it was done back then, remember?

Yea it is a little hard to figure out what the he!! you're talking about but I'll waste a minute or two trying.

Even in those days they wouldn't let them fight in the pits anymore. Remember? And, you wouldn't find anyone in the garage area in those days who would say Terry Labonte was physically afraid of ironhead. NASCAR was squarely in the corner of the 3 car in those days and everybody knew it. Remember? Man up my a$$.

And once again, karma is a bitch, what had been going around for a long time came around.
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-18-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Yea it is a little hard to figure out what the he!! you're talking about but I'll waste a minute or two trying.

Even in those days they wouldn't let them fight in the pits anymore. Remember? And, you wouldn't find anyone in the garage area in those days who would say Terry Labonte was physically afraid of ironhead. NASCAR was squarely in the corner of the 3 car in those days and everybody knew it. Remember? Man up my a$$.

And once again, karma is a bitch, what had been going around for a long time came around.
    You are right again, Nascar had sr. Back.

Hey Kid, did you manage to work things out so you could be at Lincoln for the POWRi show on April 4th?

And, are you going to Terre Haute for the Silver Crown race on the 6th?

so your saying karma came around and killed sr. for taking out laborite , yea right go pick a fight somewhere else

Hey Kid, did you manage to work things out so you could be at Lincoln for the POWRi show on April 4th?

And, are you going to Terre Haute for the Silver Crown race on the 6th?
    Not yet, no one is willing to change weeks with me yet but, still trying to convenience someone to at least take my on call Friday the 4 th or the whole weekend and I will cover the week. I will let you know if I'm going to make it the 4th but, I know I won't be able to make the 6 th.

Quote Originally Posted by retired racer View Post
    so your saying karma came around and killed sr. for taking out laborite , yea right go pick a fight somewhere else
    I think what he is saying is that Terry not walking over and punching sr. In the mouth doesn't make him any less of a man.

In my opinion it shows much more character and moxie for showing some restraint in that situation instead of letting the heat of the moment dictate the scene.

I'm respectful of the bigger than life character that sr. Lived , portrayed, and won with...but I can't remember any time he ever " manned up" to anyone unless it was with his comments , or the bumper of his car.

I didn't "pick" anything. You're the one who said Terry Labonte should "man up" and is a pu$$y. I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of money that you won't find anyone that has had anything to do with NASCAR racing that would portray Terry Labonte as a pu$$y.

BBQB, thank you for stating the truth about both Terry and ironhead. You took the words right out of my mouth especially the part about ironhead having never been known to "man up".

As far as the "karma/what goes around comes around" thing goes, if you believe in that stuff there is no better example.