Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Kurt Busch To Attempt The Memorial Day Double

This is posted on Jayski-

Kurt Busch to run Indy 500 with Andretti Autosport: It has been over a decade since it was last completed, but this May NASCAR Champion Kurt Busch will endeavor to become only the fourth driver in history to contest the "Double" - competing in IndyCar's historic Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR's 600-mile race in the same day. Busch will make his first career Indianapolis 500 qualifying attempt behind the wheel of an Andretti Autosport Indy car. His entry will complete a stable of five for Michael Andretti's championship winning IndyCar team. It is not the first pairing of Busch and Andretti Autosport, however, as in 2013 Busch completed a test day at Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the team and in the process passed the mandated Rookie Orientation program effectively setting the possibility of the "Double" into motion.
    What lies in front of Busch is a grueling challenge, not only on the race day itself - scheduled for Sunday, May 25th when Busch will race 1,100 miles in two races, in two cities, in two totally different cars, but in practicing and qualifying his Andretti Autosport Indy car in addition to competing in three NASCAR race weekends around Indianapolis 500 activities. The 35-year old American will start the two week Indy 500 stretch in Indianapolis May 11th, fresh from the NASCAR race in Kansas. After spending the week testing the Honda-powered Indy car, Busch will log some serious air miles traveling between Indianapolis and Charlotte so he can qualify for the 500-mile race and practice and qualify for the NASCAR All-Star race and that Series' 600-mile race. In total Busch will likely make more than ten trips between the cities - the most important and time sensitive being race day. Race day will place Busch in Indianapolis in the morning for the 12:00pm/et start time of the Indianapolis 500 before he makes the trip to Charlotte for the 6:00pm/et green flag.

I'm sure the powers that be at Indianapolis Motor Speedway would like to see some NASCAR drivers in the Indianapolis 500. Just not sure this is one of the guys they really wanted.

AAAAhhhhhh...don't know about this stuff...probably hurts both efforts more then it helps, but this is America and if you can pull it off and its legal, go for it....

Should be exciting to watch......
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I agree Mud, I'm guessing that it is really hard for a driver to have his head in both games to the degree that a victory is attainable. But, I've never tried it so what do I know.

I'm glad there is someone from taxi cab land that is willing to try the double, just wish it was someone like Matt Kenseth, Brad Keselowski or maybe Ricky Stenhouse. Someone we could cheer for at Indianapolis as opposed to an a$$hat like kurt busch.

I gotta' think that an outfit like Andretti is going to put their maximum effort in getting Marco or Ryan Hunter Reay (especially Marco) a 500 victory and busch might get what's left over. I guess we'll see come May.

It will give us something to watch both series have gone down hill badly over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I agree Mud, I'm guessing that it is really hard for a driver to have his head in both games to the degree that a victory is attainable. But, I've never tried it so what do I know.

I'm glad there is someone from taxi cab land that is willing to try the double, just wish it was someone like Matt Kenseth, Brad Keselowski or maybe Ricky Stenhouse. Someone we could cheer for at Indianapolis as opposed to an a$$hat like kurt busch.

I gotta' think that an outfit like Andretti is going to put their maximum effort in getting Marco or Ryan Hunter Reay (especially Marco) a 500 victory and busch might get what's left over. I guess we'll see come May.
    someone has to take Paul Tracies spot
    Last edited by LITE-INN; 03-04-2014 at 09:04 PM.

This is posted on Jayski-

Kurt Busch to run Indy 500 with Andretti Autosport.
    I've got a dollar that says he crashes. Any takers?
    8/13/16

You're about 3 years too late in reference to Paul Tracy. He hasn't qualified since 2011.

I wouldn't touch that bet HH. I'm guessin' busch may not even get qualified. I say that because he may bend up enough equipment before pole day that there won't be anything left to qualify.

And, racin6mod I agree, any additional attention either series can generate is a good thing. However, I believe there would be more interest in seeing guys like Bryan Clauson, Kyle Larson, Christopher Bell or Tracy Hines getting Indy 500 rides.

Back in 2012 Sarah Fisher put Bryan Clauson in one of her cars and he qualified for the Indy 500 and the interest from short track/dirt track fans spiked impressively. Everybody I know that is a real race fan was buzzing about how Clauson was doing throughout the month of May prior to race day. That deal had twofold appeal since Sarah Fisher is beloved by dirt track fans and so is Clauson.

But again, racin6mod is right, any added interest is good.
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-05-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    I'll take that bet he might have a blow out or get got in a mess not of his doing but I don't think he'll crash on his own. he is one of the best and has proven he can do a lot with less. his brother is said to be the best wheelman in the garage area by most if not all of the tv guy's. but kurt showed he could out perform kyle in kyle's nation wide cars. RCR gives him credit for turning their stuff around last year from his note while in the 78 car hell even kevin thanked him and we know he's no busch fan.

Over the years we've seen the best of the very best wad a car or two up at Indianapolis all by theyselves and kurt busch is a long way from the best to ever lap The Speedway.

I doubt there ever has been anyone, regardless of how good they themselves thought they were, or how good everyone else thought they were, that wasn't capable of waddin' one up on his own. I don't know if busch will wreck himself or not but there is no doubt he's capable of doing so.

If kurt and kyle busch are the greatest of all time they better start showin' it 'cause their record doesn't reflect all that greatness. Oh, and everyone should surely take what all the TV guys say as Gospel. Right?
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-07-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Over the years we've seen the best of the very best wad a car or two up at Indianapolis all by theyselves and kurt busch is a long way from the best to ever lap The Speedway.

I doubt there ever has been anyone, regardless of how good they themselves thought they were, or how good everyone else thought they were, that wasn't capable of waddin' one up on his own. I don't know if ol' elephant ears will wreck himself or not but there is no doubt he's capable of doing so.

If kurt and kyle busch are the greatest of all time they better start showin' it 'cause their record doesn't reflect all that greatness. Oh, and everyone should surely take what all the TV guys say as Gospel. Right?

Good post and so true.

tony stewart done the best job of running the double,i think it was 2001 indy ran a little late tony missed the drivers meeting for the 600 and was penalized on his starting spot,he finished 6th @ indy and 3rd @ 600.

You're right Buster. It was 2001 and baby stewy was the first to complete all 1100 miles of racing in the process of doing the double. According to the recap of both races that year baby stewy spun while running last on the 2nd lap of the 600. Of course he denied it had anything to do with doing the double. Whether it did or not we'll never know 'cause baby stewy wouldn't admit it if it did.

It wasn't enough to bask in the light of the accomplishment, baby stewy, in his usual childish fashion called anyone who questioned whether he'd raced too many miles in one day a line of grade school names.

We no doubt can expect some of that from the boy with the incredible ears, especially if things don't go the way he thinks they should.

In regards to the upcoming Indy 500 I think J.P. Montoya may well be a major factor. I remember him coming to Indianapolis in May of 2000 having never seen the place before, started in the middle of the front row and proceeded to put a whoopin' on the IRL regulars.

glad j p can race something good because NASCAR wasn't his cup of tea and big deal stewie spun he still finshed well in the 600

I'm not a fan of Montoya but he in fact had a couple of wins in Cup competition and actually had 7 wins in his fairly short Formula 1 career including the Grand Prix of Monoco, which is the biggest race on the F1 schedule. Montoya has won races in F1, CART, Cup, IndyCar and Grand-Am. Given competitive equipment J.P. would hold his own in most any type racecar.

In IndyCar Montoya will be driving top flight equipment for Roger Penske. Top flight equipment is something he never had in Cup competition with Ganassi. I think he'll be very competitive in Indy Cars driving Penske equipment.

What I liked most about Montoya is that he wanted to have a go with gas bag harvick at Watkins Glen and harvick backed down. No one should be surprised, though. Gas bag harvick has shown many times that he was/is pretty much all noise and no guts.
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-08-2014 at 09:19 AM.

tony did spin on 2nd or 3rd lap of 600, when that chopper landed it was one major rush for tony to get strapped in the 600 car,he may have had more leg cramps before he got it lined out,yelp i was there.

Highside you can keep my dallor as I was the only one to take the bet, it was worth it. I thought he did a good job for a one off race the others that have done the double ran indy first and cup later kurt is the first in a long time that ran nascar first and even did pretty well in nhra pro stock. now will he do it again next year?

ha hah ha you lost

I'm not a fan of Montoya but he in fact had a couple of wins in Cup competition and actually had 7 wins in his fairly short Formula 1 career including the Grand Prix of Monoco, which is the biggest race on the F1 schedule. Montoya has won races in F1, CART, Cup, IndyCar and Grand-Am. Given competitive equipment J.P. would hold his own in most any type racecar.

In IndyCar Montoya will be driving top flight equipment for Roger Penske. Top flight equipment is something he never had in Cup competition with Ganassi. I think he'll be very competitive in Indy Cars driving Penske equipment.

What I liked most about Montoya is that he wanted to have a go with gas bag harvick at Watkins Glen and harvick backed down. No one should be surprised, though. Gas bag harvick has shown many times that he was/is pretty much all noise and no guts.
    Harvick is not there to fight off the track but on the track he!! yeah

Busch, sixth place! Nawbad!!!!