Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I have a basically stock 74 Pinto that I autocross and just ran the USCA event at Laguna Seca. 2.3L currently with a Ranger cast header and a Weber 38/38. I have an old Hedman, 2 piece header and a nice looking dual outlet muffler I was thinking of trying which has a 2 1/4" inlet. Do you think 2 1/4" pipe is way too big for this 2.3? I may be adding a mild cam as well.

If your desire is to have the best exhaust system practical for your application, use Larry Meaux's PIPEMAX software program for your application. www.maxracesoftware.com . It's relatively cheap & if you desire, the software can be transported right to your 'puter from the Web site location. -Dave-

Profile....... regarding your question on the best book to be found on planet earth for induction & exhaust questions/facts/formulas? PhD Gordon Blairs book "Design & Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines. You might find it at www.sae.org/bookstore . Number R-186. To try and get it via Amazon or a book store; ISBN 0-7680-0440-3 . It's hard-cover, about 1.75" thick, & contains ~825 pages. I still haven't studied all that is contained within the book! Requires a lot of time by we old geezers! The book has sections/chapters on induction/exhaust & specific 4-cylinder engines. Dr. Blair passed away a couple of years ago. The man was brilliant! And his undisputed facts still remain uncontested. -Dave-

THANKS DAVE! Us old "geezers" need to stick together. Build something new (as in cars). I'm trying hill climbs this, my 80'th year. Better to be a has been, than a never was.

Dave/Profile:

Here's a link to the archive:http://www.4m.net/archive/index.php/f-24.html,
    I copied the thread to my hard drive, some 36 pages in Word. Dave: You began the thread on 8/31/07 @1:35PM, and the last entry was 9/12/08@1025PM. Springtime in Ohio yet?

Courtesy of another Geezer,
    JerryM

Jerry............ Spring may have arrived here in OH! Predicted rain....... no more snow in sight! Profile..... guess you could say I'm 'just a kid'. Headed for 73 in Oct. And I stay away from those danged hills! No need to make a mistake & hurt this ole bod! -Dave-

Quote Originally Posted by crcltrakr View Post
    dave/profile:

Here's a link to the archive:http://www.4m.net/archive/index.php/f-24.html,
    i copied the thread to my hard drive, some 36 pages in word. Dave: You began the thread on 8/31/07 @1:35pm, and the last entry was 9/12/08@1025pm. Springtime in ohio yet?

Courtesy of another geezer,
    please what # number or page? Thanks

Here is a link to the first page of the said thread.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200711100...ad.php?t=18463

Default Them hills

Quote Originally Posted by 84Dave View Post
    Jerry............ Spring may have arrived here in OH! Predicted rain....... no more snow in sight! Profile..... guess you could say I'm 'just a kid'. Headed for 73 in Oct. And I stay away from those danged hills! No need to make a mistake & hurt this ole bod! -Dave-
    Well in the last 60 years I have raced in / drags / motor cycles / sport cars / stock cars / salt flats / autocross / but no hill climbs. It and the salt flats are the ONLY grass root racing in the US of A, bar none. No money pay'd out, just a plastic trophy made in China. True grass root racing. Try it Dave while you still can. Last time we were at the flats, two 2300 powered cars (one a Merkur) went over 200mph on gas. Try it / you'll like it.

that was some in teresting and very thought prevoking reading, the whole reversion thing, i had spoken to a gentlemen named tom klein (klein racing enignes) years ago about htis and was very uniformed until that point. exhaust pulses do strange things. He clarified a LOT!! To my benefit and some advise and instruction i had a 4 cylinder sounding quite different without a muffler as compered to one with. and the tuning part was very different than what i previously had..
    mark41