Default timing belt off the cam gear

Hey yall, Ive been looking but cant find a thread on a timing gear that partially rides off the cam gear.Below is a picture of mine. The timing belt seems to be riding near the front of the crank and aux gears (but not off), but on the cam gear you can see it is clearly off by a bit. Is this a concern? if so how can you correct this? Cam gear shim?Btw this is a brand new timing belt and an adjustable cam gear i picked up in a swap meet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by camarofever View Post
    Hey yall, Ive been looking but cant find a thread on a timing gear that partially rides off the cam gear.Below is a picture of mine. The timing belt seems to be riding near the front of the crank and aux gears (but not off), but on the cam gear you can see it is clearly off by a bit. Is this a concern? if so how can you correct this? Cam gear shim?Btw this is a brand new timing belt and an adjustable cam gear i picked up in a swap meet.
    Your stock gear should of had a tapered large round washer that was to keep the belt from walking toward the rear of the engine. You need to account for that thickness and your belt will be back on the cam gear. So your thinking right about the shim. A word about the shim, if the diameter is too large, when you tighten down the cam bolt your adjustable gear will be pinched and won't adjust. Just make sure you look at the back of the gear.

ryan, you need the washer/guide behind the sprocket. if it still doesn't track true then the head wasn't surfaced true front to rear. if it's off just a little then it shouldn't be a problem. rev up the engine and watch it. if the belt moves around a lot then you may need the head trued up.

olin

You also need the tapered small shim behind the crank pulley. Both shims will affect overall belt alignment. A weak belt tensioner can throw it off too, just some easier things to check before you take the head off.
    Last edited by Dirtman29; 03-06-2014 at 01:23 PM.

ryan, like dirtman said, if the tensioner is not square to the block and head it can also cause your concern.

olin

cool, thanks guys. dont think its the head. gonna put the stock plate behind the cam gear on n see if it brings the belt back on the gear.

I had a head that was cut wrong and the belt ran off the front. A small shim behing the 13mm adjusting bolt (between tensioner and head) will run the belt rearward. This will save from pulling the head off a good running motor.

I have come across that same problem twice now. The first time the cylinder head was milled off front to rear like someone suggested and the other time the guy didn't have any locating dowels between the head and block. You might want to try and fix the problem because you will end up with the belt wearing prematurely and failing. It is not alot of work to fix it now rather than later. just bite the bullet and fix it instead of trying to fudge fix it with washers and shims. Easy fix.

Added the stock plate behind the cam gear. FIXED IT completely. Belt now runs in the middle of all gears. Thanks for the input guys!

I also put another cam plate in front Aux pulley but that's just me helps in dirt