Default 2.3 ford engine hesitation...

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with my mini stock engine. When shifting into 2nd gear I have a really bad flutter or hesitation but after about 60ft it clears up & screams down the straightaway. This is killing me at the start of the race & on restarts. I've been fighting this awhile now & have finally gave up. I didn't even race last year due to this problem. Can someone please help or send me in the rite direction?

Thanks, Skeeter

Found a post here on page 3 with someone having the same problem. I'm going to try what he was told & go from there.

What carb on engine.

Holley 500 (4412)

For an engine in the 2.3L range, if the pump 'squirter' is in the #25-#28 range, or larger, that's too much fuel out of the squirter and the engine is 'pig rich' when you get hard into the throttle. I found a #19 or #21 squirter to be more than adequate for your engine size. And you might have a problem with the power valve and it's vacuum number? Also, the PVCR's (Power Valve Channel Restrictions) are way too large in ID for a 500 2-bbl feeding a 2.3L. Also, call Bob Oliver (775)331-5609 @ Competition Carburetion in NV. The guy is an absolute genius on Holley 2-bbl's for 4-cylinders. He has re-worked ours for years. -Dave-

I've tried a 18 squirter but had the same problem. I just bought a 4.0 & 4.5 power valve but haven't yet tried those.

Quote Originally Posted by stocks05 View Post
    I've tried a 18 squirter but had the same problem. I just bought a 4.0 & 4.5 power valve but haven't yet tried those.
    The squirter size affects length of time relative to the volume. Volume is from the colored cam on the throttle shaft. Change the cam for more or less fuel squirt. Most off the shelf 4412 have the brown cam. I've solved many rich off closed throttle by changing down 2-3 colors on V-8s.
    Gator Engineering

Battling the same problem with a friends carb. He over looked one simple thing..Did you "tune" the carb with the mixture screws and a vacuum guage? If not You are giving up a valuable tuning tool..That solved his problem.