Thread: ride heights

Default ride heights

Where's the best place to check your ride height and what are some good starting point for ride height

Ride Height is a generic term that means something different to everyone. Heights from frame to ground tell me absolutely nothing. Heights from lower A arm inner bolt to ground and center of outer balljoint to ground tell me what I need to know on the front end. And lower trailing arm angles on the rear is what I look for. Where is a good starting point? RF lower arm, center of lower ball joint ball 1/4-1/2 higher than the center of the inner pivot bolt on cross member. The LF should be level . Rear trailing arm angles? RR level or as close as you can get, and LR varies but I ran 7Deg down in back, up in front.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Thanks racer96m

Quote Originally Posted by Racer96m View Post
    Ride Height is a generic term that means something different to everyone. Heights from frame to ground tell me absolutely nothing. Heights from lower A arm inner bolt to ground and center of outer balljoint to ground tell me what I need to know on the front end. And lower trailing arm angles on the rear is what I look for. Where is a good starting point? RF lower arm, center of lower ball joint ball 1/4-1/2 higher than the center of the inner pivot bolt on cross member. The LF should be level . Rear trailing arm angles? RR level or as close as you can get, and LR varies but I ran 7Deg down in back, up in front.

Dave
    What kind of angle were you running on your upper rear control arms. Thanks in advance, Rick

Dave, how far from the housing is your LR trailing arm mounted? We are allowed one inch from stock and currently mounted at 3 inches from the housing on both trailing arms.
    Last edited by raceincircles; 03-20-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by koltveitracing67 View Post
    What kind of angle were you running on your upper rear control arms. Thanks in advance, Rick
    Rick, the uppers were 22Deg down in front if memory serves me correctly. And how far from the housing? IDK, I just remember the angles but if you can only be an inch from stock I would have the RR 1" up from stock and the LR 1" lower than stock.

Dave

Thanks Dave

Dave when you say center of balljoint do you mean center of the stim or center of overall length of the balljoint from grease zerk to tip of stim, thanks in advance

the pivot center would be the center of the ball joint., google the stuff your asking about, there are pictures and diagrams and such all over the world wide web.

Lightbulb

Thanks a ton!!

I'm confused...If the center of the RF ball joint pivot ball is higher than the lower a arm bolt and the left side is level--wouldn't the left side of the chassis be higher than the right (unless the RF tire was considerably taller than the left?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtwiz View Post
    I'm confused...If the center of the RF ball joint pivot ball is higher than the lower a arm bolt and the left side is level--wouldn't the left side of the chassis be higher than the right (unless the RF tire was considerably taller than the left?)
    Yes the RF tire is usually bigger than the LF, and it has more air pressure than the LF also. Quit worrying about where your chassis is and worry about where your suspension is set at . The point of all this is to get the lower arm to scribe a consistent arc. So the RF for example is gona move up, right? So at slightly above the center line it will scribe an arc upward and inward. If its set below the center line, as it moves up, its arc lengthens before it hits center and then moves inward. This is not what you want to achieve a consistent feel.

Dave