Default Bert Gen II transmission

Transmission not disengaging when clutch pedal is released in reverse and low gear, just keeps trying to pull. Never had anything like this happen with old style bert, any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

is it new?
    it has a band in it that engages low and reverse.
    it has a removable block on the side were your clutch line goes in. it has a plunger there that when petal is pushed, it moves the plunger, tightens band up, moves car.

on the back side of the plunger it has a rod on it that connects it to the band, when rebuilding mine, I had to take off about 1/4 +- off the new plunger so it did not engage the band.

Found that the plunger and rod assembly is made, and it has to have a the length adjusted....per Bert. They told me what to look for and what it would take to fix it.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 03-19-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

So there is no clutch in it now? It's the band instead? Just curious.

Talked to a rep at PRI and they said to make sure the shifter is properly aligned. We found that ours was out of whack and caused similar issues to what you are having. I really can't remember what was said, but it may be worth checking into with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSullivan00 View Post
    Talked to a rep at PRI and they said to make sure the shifter is properly aligned. We found that ours was out of whack and caused similar issues to what you are having. I really can't remember what was said, but it may be worth checking into with them.
    The alignment of the shifting lever is paramount,and will cause the transmission to not operate properly,if not correct.
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post
    So there is no clutch in it now? It's the band instead? Just curious.
    That's right. No more clutch pack/discs. It's a band that goes around a drum basically.

it has a band, and hub with planetary gear set like an automatic transmission has.
    when transmission is in low and reverse it runs through the band and planetary. pushing in clutch petal tightens the band around planetary, and car moves.
    very simple, but if band is too tight on planetary hub, it will want to move, without any clutch petal imput.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Have you replaced the clutch band? If so give us a call I can guide you through getting it adjusted back in.

I have came across this issue with transmission's that people have replaced bands in.

Mine had the same problem and it was the band. The clutch material had broken loose off the band and and was dragging on the drum inside. Took it apart and replaced the band and it was good to go again

New band last season new sun gear & selector this season. Won't stay in low now. Hard to find low unless put into reverse then back to low gear. Making tough getting thru pits.....any ideas? Thanks y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    New band last season new sun gear & selector this season. Won't stay in low now. Hard to find low unless put into reverse then back to low gear. Making tough getting thru pits.....any ideas? Thanks y'all
    The teeth for low gear are super narrow (like 3/16th wide) when the teeth get rounded some it pushes the coupler forward or back and un-egauges when you apply the clutch or torque to the trans.

put in first gear and apply the clutch and hold the shifter, if you feel it push the shifter that is what it's doing. So it's either adjusted wrong (shifter rod length) or the teeth are rounded and it's never gonna stay in gear.

Worked fine last year and just took to have looked at, sun gear had wear so he tried cleaning up to get thru season figuring save till next year. Put in and wouldn't work so adjusted shifter thinking problem is. Since gears replaced and been thru spectrum of shifter length. I put in drive and adjusted rod accordingly, is there better way? Hindsight should left rod alone and pulled to replace gears. He's learned that when wear just replace, ain't no saving them. Thanks for help billet

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Worked fine last year and just took to have looked at, sun gear had wear so he tried cleaning up to get thru season figuring save till next year. Put in and wouldn't work so adjusted shifter thinking problem is. Since gears replaced and been thru spectrum of shifter length. I put in drive and adjusted rod accordingly, is there better way? Hindsight should left rod alone and pulled to replace gears. He's learned that when wear just replace, ain't no saving them. Thanks for help billet
    Personally I think setting rod with shifter in first is the better way, then make sure the shifter lever arm isn't hitting the slot of the base when in the other gears like high.

Your way worked better, appreciate help