Thread: Caliper mounts

Default Caliper mounts

Just mounting up some new birdcages. The last set had the caliper mounted to the cage. This set has separate caliper mounts.

Should I drill and tap the tube? I would assume the clamping force alone would not be enough? Or just drill the tube? Does it need to be tapped?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post
    Just mounting up some new birdcages. The last set had the caliper mounted to the cage. This set has separate caliper mounts.

Should I drill and tap the tube? I would assume the clamping force alone would not be enough? Or just drill the tube? Does it need to be tapped?

Thanks.
    Drill and tap is the best way. I have gotten away with just dimpling the tube and using a set screw, but that is being awful trusting.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Nice! Thanks!

I have always just drilled them and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post

Thanks.
    Drill AND Tap the tube!! tap the bracket and the axle tube as one continuous thread to eleminate any slop. use a minimum of 3/8 bolts, 7/16 is best - 1/2" starts to compromise the tube integrity.

i have seen 3/8 bolts installed properly and still shear off - heavy track on the brakes hard to avoid a crash. in most cases you'll be fine but if it cuts loose it might end your night.

Quote Originally Posted by JTSjet View Post
    Drill AND Tap the tube!! tap the bracket and the axle tube as one continuous thread to eleminate any slop. use a minimum of 3/8 bolts, 7/16 is best - 1/2" starts to compromise the tube integrity.

i have seen 3/8 bolts installed properly and still shear off - heavy track on the brakes hard to avoid a crash. in most cases you'll be fine but if it cuts loose it might end your night.
    You can always use 3/8 bolts and do both sides of the tube. That would be stronger than one 1/2" bolt.