Thread: Rear gear help

Default Rear gear help

I have a 9" with 4.11 ring and pinion runnin a sbc 350 with a 2 speed powerglide. (1.82) in low and I'm gonna be switching to a 3/4 mile track? What should I switch to 6.66 and run in high 1:1? Or anything will help!

First off, a 4.11 with a 1.82 ratio tranny gives you a final drive of 7.48. Let the RPM's soar! A 6.66 gear is what we run on 1/4 mile tracks. I would have a gear in the 6.0-6.33 range depending on track conditions and motor. It is best to run a tranny in high (1:1) as they will last a lot longer than running them in 2nd gear. So running the final ratio through the gear is your best bet. If your going to run your final drive through the tranny in 2nd and using the 4.11 gear, you will need a tranny that has a ratio between 1.45-1.54 to get in the 6.0-6.33 range. Good luck!

I have no idea also, just know it's a stock 66 impala powerglide I ran in first at the 1/4 mile track my powerglide in first that's why I got the thinking if I'm going to a bigger track (butler speedway) why not jut run high gear with a 6 something ring and pinion..