Default Wheel and Tire ?

I have been noticing the tires on the left front and right front look short and wide. I know in late model rules you can only run 5 inch of set is it a certain kind of tire or running different offset wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Racing View Post
    I have been noticing the tires on the left front and right front look short and wide. I know in late model rules you can only run 5 inch of set is it a certain kind of tire or running different offset wheels
    I've never seen any late model rules that restrict wheel offset

Nor have I. The series that we race with has no offset rule...

ok I thought I read everybody had to run 5 inch, so what is typical setup for wheels on a latemodel now

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Racing View Post
    ok I thought I read everybody had to run 5 inch, so what is typical setup for wheels on a latemodel now
    5 inch is pretty typical. 4 inch is common also in certain circumstances. 3 inch less common but not unheard of.
    This affects track width (of the car) and scrub radius. Most chassis manufacturer's baseline setups are built around 5 inch offset and if you want to tune from there most guys use wheel spacers which basically accomplishes the same thing.

One thing that may be contributing to what you are describing/seeing is that more and more teams are running 90" tires on both fronts where 92" used to be a lot more common. Obviously on the same width wheel (14") that would make the tire proportions look a little different.

is there any gain to running the smaller tires on the front now than 92s