Default Throttle control on entry

Would like to hear from you guys about any tips/tricks for helping with throttle control on entry.

When I let off the throttle, seems like I am jumping off the gas and this makes me really loose on entry, like slamming the rear brakes on.

I have tried to be smoother coming off the gas but am having problems with doing this correctly and consistently.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Set your idle at higher RPM's. May sound funny in pits but it does work. If your a dump the throttle dropping to 3000 rpms vs 1500 rpms should make a noticeable change for you. Another trick that helps with throttle control is to put a foot stop on the floor for your heel. This allows you to rotate in and out of the throttle vs moving your pivot point on the floor by memory. Get in the habbit of just dragging your brakes before you let off the gas which will help learn to trail brake with throttle easier. Trust me its not an easy thing and took 2 seasons for me to feel comfortable.

Sounds like an over driving entry issue. Rev chip it to keep from over driving entry. Have the chip hit after starter stand. Not the greatest a thing for motor but an easy way to have a driver not over drive the entry. Always remember slow in and fast out.

Put more gear in the car so it doesn't build more speed at the end of the straights. Let the rev limiter set your entry speed and stay on the gas with it popping away, that's what all the fast crates are doing around here. Hate it but it does work.

SPark

Sometimes I get excited and start messing up the braking and throttle marks especially if I starting paying attention to what position I'm in and forget to race my own race. I count instead....one one thousand....brake, one one thousand, turn, one one thousand..throttle and so on.

Practice, practice, pratice. Nothing beats seat time. All of the "tricks" listed above can help, but it still falls in the hands(and feet) of the driver.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

We ended up putting the track control spacer in and it fixed our driver issue. We have all 3 and install what we need based on the track condition.

So you guys recommend trail braking on entry? I went to a driving school last spring and I began the first session trail braking and the instructor noticed this right away. He said stop trail braking and to get completely off the gas on entry. Then stab the brake to rotate the car and get back on the gas.

This was a 4-link, low horsepower car. I have a 3-link, about 500 hp... Maybe it's different between those two setups.

Also, Leftterns, what is a "track control spacer"?
    Last edited by speedbuggy; 04-21-2014 at 08:03 AM.

On the dry you should NEVER be stabbing either peddle. The more you upset the car the more it will get upset at you. You can change throttle throw, 2 barrel, or place a throttle stop. The simplest way to drive properly is visual reference point around a track. Now on dirt the track changes but stop making it a guessing game and pick your marks and make concistency apart of your driving. Every mistake in a corner will cost you roughly .500 second. Sometime slower and more consistent wins races while others over drive and make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR_Products View Post
    On the dry you should NEVER be stabbing either peddle. The more you upset the car the more it will get upset at you. You can change throttle throw, 2 barrel, or place a throttle stop. The simplest way to drive properly is visual reference point around a track. Now on dirt the track changes but stop making it a guessing game and pick your marks and make concistency apart of your driving. Every mistake in a corner will cost you roughly .500 second. Sometime slower and more consistent wins races while others over drive and make mistakes.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about adjusting the throttle stop back so I don't have to worry so much about entry speed. I haven't even had the car out this year yet. Looking to get out the first of May.

thanks everyone for the help!

Generally speaking, if you are having to stabb the brakes and then stabb the thottle, the car is WAY too tight for the track. RRR_Products is dead on about slowing down and being smooth. Some of the best Modified drivers in the country trail brake in, through and out of the corner. It depends on the track shape and surface as to how much.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

Our track has big turns with ~14° of banking. Usually black slick by feature time.

A term I like to use when coaching road racing, asphalt, and dirt is balancing with the brakes. Trail braking is a term that was used years ago but in my teachings the drivers understand the term "balancing with the brakes" much better and understand why they are balancing a car in motion. If anyone would like help or videos of them driving looked at I do that as well.

RRR-
    I like your term "Balancing with the brakes "..... as the guy watching from the sidelines.. it is hard to explain to a driver and make it hit home.... trail braking never seems to register....
    any ideas on how to convince them to loosen the car up enough for it to work ? Most new guys want that "security blanket" feeling they get with a slightly tight car on entry......
    " Most of my drivers have been new to 4 link stuff and I believe most of their chassis issues are really my driver issues....... "

see ya
    johnny v

Well dry slick I really push drivers to learn and pick up due to the fact that I'd say 90% of the feature races are dry slick. In fact practice nights are always great times to go to the track because usually they are dry and traction is very limited. Have a crew member time every lap and log them. You should all know what times the fastest guys run at your track on a given night. This is your bench mark you must get to on practice night. If you're not seeing a time within a couple tenths work on the car and driving technique. Timing in sections helps as well. Cut the track into 4 sections on a race night. Both straights and corners. Time your driver and the fastest car of the night. This will help you work on parts of the car and or driving as well. What I have observed with some of the top IMCA drivers is they're not the fastest down the straight away at beginning of the race. In fact a 1/10 or 2/10ths slower. But the cars that are faster down those straights fall off sooner and actually gave up at least double the time within a few laps in the corners. One thing I always live by is the watch. It never lies and says if you're fast or not everytime. Now lines change for instance it may be dry slick bottom and a cushion on top. Log all the conditions and times. One thing that is a great investment is the in car timing systems. As a driver it's like having a spotter telling you where to drive. You'll already know the times you need to be at and by trying 2 to 4 lines you'll know what's working best and what is the fastest way around he track. There are a lot of details I could talk about but mostly any driver should focus on consistent laps. Consistent consistent consistent!!! As for the braking. On a practice night have your driver drag the brakes in as light and as far as possible. This loads the nose and places the weight on the turning tires. If your car is lose from doing this you most likely have a side bite issue. If its tight you probably got off of the brakes too early. There are many many factors but when it comes to driving I believe in one style and that's a smooth and consistent one. If I see a driver driving radically into the corner that skates up track in the dry slick he's not a driver you'll have to worry about most likely in 5 laps.

You guys think a ball-bearing throttle pedal would be worth the money? Or even help with throttle control at all?