Thread: Head clearance

Default Head clearance

What's the rule of thumb for head clearance on a mod? I'm talking bottom of halo, to top of helmet.

I would say 4-6".
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

The more, the better. If your driver is very tall, you will need a taller cage. I'm 6'2" and I have about 4" in my car, but I also have my seat mounted low and rolled back some.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

I've got a 2013 jet, 20 degree seat set all the way against the back firewall, kicked out at the bottom, and with my helmet on I have about 1" I am not comfortable with this at all,

I like at least 3". I am 6'9", and for my car we had took a standard 20 degree Ultrashield Halo full containment seat and just turned it back A LOT on a seat mount loop bar so it is still solidly mounted but allows a lot of seat degreeing. Other people think my seat feels like a recliner, but it is what it takes to keep my head safe, and since I am taller than most, it feels like a normal seat. This is with a cage that is 1.5" taller than standard though. Just remember that I am close to 7', so I would need more space than you, so you may be able to get away with tilting your seat a little.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

Does your Jet have the cross bar that the seat sits on that bolts in? One of mine, the front seat mount that went left/right in the floor pan bolted in and was adjustable for height. I took it clear out and mounted right on the floor without the bolt-in piece.

SPark

it has a mount on a hinge that the sub belt also attaches to, I laid my seat back a little more, teaked the steeing shaft mount to raise it up, and orderd a smaller steering wheel, i also got some heel stops to help keep my feet in place, Hopefully i can get used to being in a recliner.

Johnny is a tall guy, call and talk to him. I never had trouble getting people into my cars and I've had 6'-4" 245# and 6'-2" 225# drivers.

SPark

Something to think about it is how much the belt will stretch or pull before they stop you in the event of a rollover as well as any protustions in what ever your about to hit such as tires, dirt clogs, other cars, concrete walls, fencing or what ever else it out there. Also to be sure to measure with with your helmet as air blowers and other attachments can make the helmet considerably taller than the head.