Default Getting hurt in a crash.

Guys, I have a question. I took a BAD spill last night and flipped 3 times. The halo came down and they had to cut me out. Ride in an ambulance, 10+ MRIs and X-rays, ER visit, etc and BOOM, I'm under a mountain of medical bills. I know we all sign the "I have read this release" but how many of us ever have read it? I do have health insurance, but a pretty high deductible. I'm sure some of you have been injured at the track. How did you handle it? What are the track's responsibilities. Not looking to sue. I know the risk, but I also don't wanna pay more out of pocket it the track has responsibilities also. Thanks for the help.

I do not sell insurance and am not a lawyer. I have asked this point blank to my insurance companies thru the years and seen it happen to several at different tracks. Here's my take for what it is worth:

Call the track promoter, get a copy of their insurance coverage and talk to them. They may try to jerk you around. At least find out who their insurance is with, if they even have any. If you get the company name, contact the company directly and ask your questions to them.

Your insurance is primary coverage. The track insurance is the last insurance involved. They won't usually get involved until every other option has been exhausted. You might get the track to pay the ambulance ride depending on their contract with that service provider.

Your insurance will try to push it off onto the track and it will become a struggle. You will be left holding the bag in most instances and fighting to get your company to pay. Check your personal policy and make sure it doesn't withhold service if you are involved in a "dangerous activity". It will list those activities in your policy (sky diving, racing, mountain climbing, etc are common).

Hate to say this, but sometimes just getting all the policies together and getting a few letters written by your lawyer will get the ball rolling a little better.

Good luck,
    SPark

Most track insurances are like he said supplementary insurances in the cases where you already have a primary, I got hurt at a track and I paid out around 6k outta pocket. The track will have to file incident reports records will have to be obtained SAVE EVERYTHING wrist bands, RX prescriptions, ANY BILLS from band aids to gauze to supplies. Keep good notes and ask questions. Glad your ok and hope it all goes well contact your insurance contact the track right away.

Flipped at a track once.Broke a rib,punctured a lung.Spent a week in the hospital.I had no insurance.The tracks insurance paid all the bills.

I broke my wrist and got a slight concussion a while back after getting upside down and into the wall. I refused medical care at the track so I wouldn't have that expense and claimed every thing under my insurance thru my work. It has always been my understanding that the race track insurance is secondary to all other forms.

Its definitely worth a call to the promoter and his insurance provider. All those mri's and xrays get expensive and the insurance companies are pretty shady on what they cover. I doubt the insurance company will pay for all 10 mri's even though the doctor felt they were needed to properly diagnose you.

I broke a hip and messed up some other things in a motorcycle wreck 6yrs ago. The total bill was $300,000. I ended up paying $10,000 out of pocket. Took 2yrs sorting out the bills. For months I got medical bills from places I never knew existed. And they all gouge the fuhk out of you.

When the bills start coming in the mail, don't pay them right away. Make your insurance refuse to pay before you pay anything out.

Glad it wasn't any worse for you. Did you break any thing? Head trauma?
    Last edited by FlatTire; 04-21-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Just a slight concussion and banged up left ran. Nothing broken. Talked to promoter today and he said come by the track and get the accident report filled out ASAP and their insurance should take care of a a large part of what mine doesn't pay. Car is dead. At least I'm not.

your lucky u race where u have a promoter like that. my son got hurt last season track had no ambulance had to take him to the hospital in personal car couldn't get nothing from the promoter. serveral other drivers where hurt and had to be taken in personal car to hosp, track still doesn't have a ambulance present at the track on race night makes me think they may not have insurance. i refuse to race at this track because of this.

I agree check with the track promoter on insurance. I've been is 2 accidents where I broke bones. One ripped 3 toes off my foot and had surgically pinned back on and track insurance paid all the bills. But if you try to get back in the car right of way till your released by the doctor they will stop paying.

Quote Originally Posted by hipower17 View Post
    your lucky u race where u have a promoter like that. my son got hurt last season track had no ambulance had to take him to the hospital in personal car couldn't get nothing from the promoter. serveral other drivers where hurt and had to be taken in personal car to hosp, track still doesn't have a ambulance present at the track on race night makes me think they may not have insurance. i refuse to race at this track because of this.
    If they dont have ambulance and you know this before getting in the car i think you are taking a huge risk. I would find a new track

every track where I race has to have an ambulance present to even hot lap, there insurance requires it. unless there running there operation with out insurance, I don't see how they can get by without one'

At our track, I was told that "an ambulance is not required if the track is within 5 miles of the nearest trauma center" ...which it is. We do have volunteer fire and ems crew on hand every night, so that is a start, but the last major incident with serious injuries we had it took the ambulance almost 20 minutes to arrive...? The nearest fire station/ambulance and trauma crew is also within 5 miles... sometimes life threatening injuries cannot wait that long...

There are several ambulances at Tazewell Speedway. Gary and his staff do a great job. We filled out the accident report this morning and he was very accommodating. As I understand, the track insurance will pick up what mine doesn't pay. Let's hope so. I'm sure the bill will be 6 figures.

http://www.stida.com/
    This is a link to the best deal going for us drivers. Jerry and Robbie Rice started this through K&K insurance. I have used it every year I have driven since losing a driveshaft and almost losing my arm.
    Racings best kept secret unfortunately! I was covered when I hit the wall at a right angle full throttle and had my bell rung big time with a visit to the ER. This insurance is well worth more than most anything you could put on your car besides a second driveshaft loop.

hey powerslide we don't go to that track anymore. no one should race at a track that doesn't have a trained ambulance crew on hand. your life my depend on it someday.