Thread: Tire Siping

Default Tire Siping

I've always ( been in it 1 year) cut my sipes with a grooving iron upside with a #4 blade and can make two cuts at a time.
    I notice after a couple of races the sipes start to open up and almost look like they were cut with a #1 blade. Is this normal?. I run limited late model on 1300 or harder tire same as Supers. I see most of them cut thier tires with a heated siper that uses the knife blades because you can hardly tell they were cut unless you feel the tire. Is this something that makes a huge difference.

Dont cut it so deep

Sypes are supposed to create a edge for traction. It's sounds like what your seeing is the edge being worn off. I agree going less deep might help but the grip might not last as long either. I don't have much experience is syping or grooving so my opinion is just that. Salty.

Sipes don't necessarily create edges. The idea is that they create friction in the block to help the tire build heat. Likewise, they can help the block release heat. Cutting them too deep will cause them to split like you're describing and in really bad cases cause the tread block to "chunk" out.
    You only need to cut your sipes about 1/4 to 1/3 the dept of the tread depth.

Only sipe for how many laps you are running

Siping is track and tire sensitive and in my opinion anyone who says any different is wrong in my eyes. Siping can sometimes(very few cases) also become driver sensitive. I started my career in this sport with the tire rhelm and have spent almost my entire life learning and studying tires, I stand by those thoughts. With all that said I don't like to sipe with heat, it is harder and you go through blades quicker but I've seen over the years that when I siped without heat I took out a bad variable caused by the heat. For more help you can call 618-304-2674