Thread: Helmets

Default Helmets

Getting into crate racing soon and in the market for safety gear. What's the best helmet and firesuit for the price? Also, how many late model and crate late model use a HANS device?

I only use name brand Sfi approved equipment, find a suit that fits nicely and is the highest Sfi rating you can afford. Find a helmet that is Sfi approved and fits good, I use a Bell.

Every late model should have a full containment seat , ultrashield sells them for a very affordable price, and every driver should have a head and neck restraint system. I use a NecksGen.

I currently have a Bell helmet and Sparco firesuit. I think the helmet was around $400 and the suit around $500. The difference in quality brands is most likely going to revolve around size/fit. I used to always have a Simspon helmet, but they seem to ride high on my somewhat "cone shaped" head. The Bell seems to fit much better. Also don't overlook gloves and shoes. The best firesuit in the world won't do you much good if the skin has melted off your hands and feet. I also feel that containment seats and neck restraints should be mandatory in every class. I remember when having a foam donut around my neck made me feel safe...geez! I don't think many of us can afford to miss work come Monday because we got hurt racing. I couldn't help but remind myself of that as I watched track personnel spend 30 minutes cutting a hornet driver out of his car this past weekend. You can't put a price on safety!

For years I was very skeptical about wearing any of these devices until recently. I happened to run a cross a video about this new Necksgen REV device a few months ago and it piqued my interest.

I was also very reluctant to wear another piece of safety gear that makes it harder to get out of the car in a hurry. I would rather risk a neck injury than get trapped in my car because my head and neck device got hung up on something.

After doing lots of research, talking to fellow drivers, comparing sled tests and data, and speaking with some of the people who have developed these devices, I was convinced that I didn't need to run another race with out a Necksgen head and neck restraint. Kevin Heath who designed the Necksgen was very open and forthcoming with information which helped me make my decision on the best device. He had nothing to hide.

The first time I got in the car with one it totally sunk in on why these are a good idea. I leaned forward and after a few inches, my head/neck was restrained. They act like a seat belt for your head/neck. You still get adequate left to right travel along with side/angular impact protection.

I'm very pleased with the device and will be posting some videos shortly of what its like to wear one in a late model, so please contact me on facebook at Nate Jantz-Racing if you are interested in purchasing one.

As far as helmets go, I've worn Bell helmets all my life. Spend a little extra and get something that is a composite material to take a little weight off your shoulders.

For firesuits get one that has at least a SFI 5 rating. That will give you 10seconds before 2nd degree burns. You also need to wear nomex/carbon-x underwear. Wearing underwear provides another "air gap" to keep heat away from your skin and gets you additional seconds of protection. Impact sells a nice suit called the "RACER" that is 3.2A/5 rated for $600.

Helmet needs to be sa rated. A double layer suit minimum. And don't even consider an Hans without a full containment seat. Sideways movement of your head is more damaging with the Hans type equipment. If you want the protection a Hans offers make sure you go with a full containment seat that is at least built to the sfi std.

SA rated helmet. Two or three layer fire suit. Fire resistant gloves and shoes. full containment seat and head and neck restraint. No neck donuts. That about covers it.