Question Half Leaf Rear Suspension

Has anybody ever tried a half leaf rear suspension. Kinda like a 3 link but use the front part of the leaf as the lower trailing arms and cutting the rear half off and using a coil spring on top of the rearend on each side. Then putting the solid pullbar on top of the rearend with a panhard bar behind the rear. I believe it would pass tech for IMCA Northern Sportmod as long as all of the rearend links are within the specified length. How well would a setup like this work?

If you win it will be illegal the next week. It gives option A: "3link w/ coils" or B: Leaf Springs. I dont believe you can combine the 2.

It wouldnt technically be a leaf suspension I would think it would be considered a 3 link it doesn't say that the lower links on the 3 link have to swedged tubes and it doesn't say that the lower link can't be the front of a leaf spring. I'm just saying they dont specify what the lower links have to be made out of.

Try it you can get leaf cars super cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by dereksehi View Post
    It wouldnt technically be a leaf suspension I would think it would be considered a 3 link it doesn't say that the lower links on the 3 link have to swedged tubes and it doesn't say that the lower link can't be the front of a leaf spring. I'm just saying they dont specify what the lower links have to be made out of.
    Please re-read my first sentence.

How would you solidly secure the chopped leaf spring to the rear end? The U-Bolts wouldn't be enough. If it comes loose you will most likely end up on your lid; cars that roll from a rear end link coming unhooked usually don't roll lightly either.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

I would use a mount as if I was using a conventional leaf spring setup using a centering pin, 2 ubolts and a lower plate which is where the shock would still be mounted also.

this has been done and can work well. The guru for this deal is WT Harris. Had one of his cars. There is a way you need to cut the leaf and mount it cant just saw off a leaf from front to back. These cars are still out there although WT does not build too many these days. gets good fwd bite as it wraps up the leaf.

anyone have a photo

Quote Originally Posted by anissa5 View Post
    anyone have a photo
    contact user modracr41 he still has one of these cars and could send photos of the setup. I can answer some questions as well if that helps, like how to cut leaf and how it was mounted on both ends.

How do you attach the leafs on each end? And go about cutting the leaf? Also what do you run for rear spring rates and how thick of leaf?

you have to have a panhard bar/ j-bar with this setup, rear end will move all over the place if u do-not use one.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

This set-up is not IMCA Northern SportMod legal. Even though the leafs are cut, they still "wrap" and are considered a spring.

Here is what we ran on a late model back in the late seventies,the R.R. was a 1/2 leaf (back half cut off with a chop saw) it also had a coilover mount on the backside of the leaf,we used a 225 if i remember correctly the leaf had 4 or 5 leafs attached together,I belive it was a 120 pd. chrysler spring,on the left side we ran a full leaf so we didn't need a j bar,but after every weekend we had to take everything loose and get it straight again what we had for a pullbar you couldnot use,don't know if that will help you but back in the day that was one fast hot rod.

yes you cut from the rearend pin hole going backwards because this is the thickest part of the leaf. you drill holes in the leaf and make a metal plate with a heim welded to it. Make spacers and attach the leaf in the front with the heim. you need a j bar for sure. we ran coils on top rear but you can do coil overs. 175 LR and RR 150. For leafs you only need 50lb leaf to cut.