Default Tires. How often?

How often are you all going through tires? How many tires are you buying per month for how many races?

I am also curious of the answer to this question. I understand that the answer will vary with how a driver drives, high or low, and track/condistion. With that said in general is it less than mods?I am debating the transition from mods to crates for more competive racing for less money. (i.e. no 40K motors)

Here in south Ga, it's highly dependent on the track and track prep, but we probably average 3 tires per race weekend.
    Owner/Blogger/Crash Test Dummy
    www.nextlevellatemodel.com

Jeff, At Potomac you can get at least 2 nights out of RR. 4 out of a LR and RF. LF will last all year. And this is if you have money. You can run them more than that. Winchester eats tires a bit more but mostly only the rear tires. Hope that helps you. A lot of guys run them way more than that.

I probably should have added that the tracks we most run are very sandy/abrasive tracks. Probably not the norm.
    Owner/Blogger/Crash Test Dummy
    www.nextlevellatemodel.com

Really depends on the track prep for the night. My left front like some have said will last quite a few races. Right front typically 2 races, maybe 3 if the track isn't too bad. Left rear, usually 2 but sometimes 1. Right rear, typically has been 1 race, sometimes 2 if I'm lucky.

This is my rookie year so I'm still learning tire management, but so far from what I've seen other driver's tires after the feature, mine look pretty good in comparison.

That does help, thanks so much. Answers have varied (which I was ready for), but it seems the consensus is similar to less than a mod. In mods 1-2 features is the norm, in crates it appears 1-2 features is the min.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer63 View Post
    Jeff, At Potomac you can get at least 2 nights out of RR. 4 out of a LR and RF. LF will last all year. And this is if you have money. You can run them more than that. Winchester eats tires a bit more but mostly only the rear tires. Hope that helps you. A lot of guys run them way more than that.
    Thanks,

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Potomac would be the track for me I think (Friday nights are easier for me). Good to hear the Crates here are getting more out of there tires. I can't imagine buying three tires per week, you won't make money racing of course but burning through $350+ a week just on tires is a little much to win $450-$500

Thanks,
    Jeff.

We're on a D21/D55 tire rule but very rarely ever need a 55. When we buy new 21s we groove them up and run them in hot laps and a heat race and then they come off the car. They remain "early in the night" tires for about 2 weeks and usually get flipped and run for another 2 weeks but only when the track still has some moisture. After about 4 weeks of that, they get siped up and they become "feature" tires. New ones get mounted up and fill the role of heat race tires.
    Obviously washing and grinding all of them each week. Once tires become "feature" tires, they usually make it 2-3 weeks.
    This applies to all corners besides LF which usually will last a very long time.
    This may not be the best way to do things but it's what we've found to provide a good balance of performance and cost-effectiveness.

That is an interesting way of doing tires. Seems to work though. Thanks for the insight Matt49!

Like Matt, we always have 2 sets also. One set for hot laps/heat and 1 for feature.Our feature set was our newest tires with more sipes and 1/2 -1" less stagger.We saved our best for the feature because our track had multiple grooves for passing.Take note of the features at your track to see how much passing is done. If not much, then put your best set on for the heat.Also take care of your tires after the races.Clean,grind, and wrap them as soon as possible to keep them as fresh as possible.Watch what the guys that are winning do as far as buying new tires.

we run the WRS-2 and WRS tire. They are so hard you can run them for about 4 years. Lol. But they do last quite a while. I'm a rookie as well, but it sure seems to me that I run fine on the top teams throw aways.