Default The 11th Time In 102 Years

For only the 11th time in the 102 year history of the Indianapolis 500 has a driver set fast time to start from the pole in consecutive years. Congratulations to Ed Carpenter for doing just that.

Ed pocketed a cool $100,000.00 for his 10 mile pole winning qualification run.

I really like Carpenter since he's an American (actually he's from Indianapolis) and earlier in his career he raced USAC Silver Crown cars at places like The Springfield Mile, The Magic Mile at The Du Quoin State Fairgrounds in Du Quoin, Illinois and the Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile dirt in Indianapolis.

Hopefully Ed will be the first to take the checkers and drink the milk next Sunday at the conclusion of The Greatest Spectacle In Racing.

Maple Park, IL. Home of Sycamore Speedway!!

I really look foreword to this race each year. Dirt is and always will be in my blood, but this race well... it's like Grandma's apple pie, full of years and years of down home goodness!!
    Scott Bloomchrist... The Lord, and Ruler of DIRT!!

"Hope everybody appreciated that ass kicking"
    -Scott Bloomquist

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    I really look foreword to this race each year. Dirt is and always will be in my blood, but this race well... it's like Grandma's apple pie, full of years and years of down home goodness!!
    What about Gramps multi-generation corn liquor?
    Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    Certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this...Bullsh!t...three ring circus sideshow of Freaks!
    MJK '96

Maple Park, IL. Home of Sycamore Speedway!!

Quote Originally Posted by filthy_mutt View Post
    What about Gramps multi-generation corn liquor?
    It's doing just fine ~~~~ ~~~~
    Scott Bloomchrist... The Lord, and Ruler of DIRT!!

"Hope everybody appreciated that ass kicking"
    -Scott Bloomquist

Phil

I don't think I have watched a Indy 500 totally ever....and not at all for the last 25 years...I'll watch this year to see if Kurt Busch can at least finish it.....not win it, finish it....

I don't know Mud, busch bit the wall pretty good in practice this morning. Personally I think he's in a bit over his empty head, but then again I don't like knucklehead to begin with so I'll admit that possibly my evaluation is somewhat jaded. People say they're more interested because busch is in the race. I personally would much rather see someone like Bryan Clauson or Dave Darland be given a shot at The 500, but that's just my jaundiced view.

Blackie, I feel as you do, dirt is my ultimate passion but the pure tradition and unique slice of Americana that is the Indy 500 keeps drawing me back to The Speedway year after year. This will be 29 500's for me dating back to Rick Mears 2nd 500 win in 1984. I missed '85 and '09. I'm going to go this year, next year and the 100th running in 2016, after that I'm not sure if we'll keep going. Our seats are in one of the penthouse stands and they are very expensive. However, I wouldn't take a million dollars for the memories I've got from the better part of 3 decades of attending The Greatest Spectacle In Racing.

I live one hundred mile from the track, but have never actually been to the Indy 500. Not to say that is not a great event. I would like to see Busch do well, but am thinking not likely. It's their game.

Have never even sniffed the speedway, but have always enjoyed the spectacle and coverage that it gets on television..........even as a kid I remember watching the same day coverage with my pops and when they started live flag to flag In the mid 80s I don't think I've ever missed one.

What I missed this year was bump day..........I didn't like the qualifying at all this year.

Late breakfast/brunch with the 500 and late grilling with the 600 this Sunday.............one of my favorite television days of the year.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Have never even sniffed the speedway, but have always enjoyed the spectacle and coverage that it gets on television..........even as a kid I remember watching the same day coverage with my pops and when they started live flag to flag In the mid 80s I don't think I've ever missed one.

What I missed this year was bump day..........I didn't like the qualifying at all this year.

Late breakfast/brunch with the 500 and late grilling with the 600 this Sunday.............one of my favorite television days of the year.
    Have to agree always look forward to this day of racing. I remember the day of listening to the race on the radio and watching the tape delay later that night.

I remember going down to the fox theatre in midtown st louis watching the race live back in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post

I agree 100% BBQB, I DO NOT like the new qualifying procedure at all. Your Memorial Day race day schedule sounds relaxing and enjoyable, for sure!! Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Have to agree always look forward to this day of racing. I remember the day of listening to the race on the radio and watching the tape delay later that night.
    Kid, back before I was blessed with the benefits of marital bliss there were about 8 or 10 of us that all went to school together would jump aboard a buddy's motor home and head to Indy the Saturday morning the day before the 500. Usually didn't sleep at all and go to the race. Then we'd pack up, head home and end up in our usual hangout in time to watch the tape delayed broadcast and continue the party.

Matrimony put an end to those shenanigans quite a while ago!!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I don't know Mud, busch bit the wall pretty good in practice this morning. Personally I think he's in a bit over his empty head, but then again I don't like knucklehead to begin with so I'll admit that possibly my evaluation is somewhat jaded. People say they're more interested because busch is in the race. I personally would much rather see someone like Bryan Clauson or Dave Darland be given a shot at The 500, but that's just my jaundiced view..
    I don't know, but I think Dave Darland is probably past his prime for Indy..Don't know that much about Clauson, if I recall he's a bunch younger. Now I'd pull for Rico!!!

Mud, your right about Double D. At this point in time his chances are nil to get an Indy ride. It'd be fun to see though, kinda' like Jack Hewitt in '98 when PDM Racing put him in a car to fulfill a dream. Although, Jack ran pretty good and kept his nose clean all day by starting 22nd and finishing 12th.

Clauson on the other hand is in 24 years old and drove in The 500 for Sarah Fisher-Hartman racing in 2012. Bryan actually qualified pretty well and seemed to get the old Speedway figured out pretty quickly but the car gave up early on in the race.

Ya' gotta' love Sarah Fisher, too!!

I was especially happy to see and hear the cheer that rivaled the noise for Tony Kaanan, who is a Speedway favorite, that went up for Clauson during driver intro's on race day. Bryan was the only guy of the 33 starting field in 2012 that had a dirt racing background and there were a lot of folks in the stands that were pullin' for him. As has been said 10,000 times the Indy 500 needs the American guys with the short track/dirt track background to regain it's place as the preeminent race in the world.

And, you're right, Rico and Christopher Bell would have huge appeal at Indy to the millions of short track fans out there. Especially Rico!