Default Think I bought a turd...bell housing

I'm new to dirt racing as some of you have already guessed from my dumb posts. Long story short, I bought a "race ready" grt. Jacked it up last night while installing a fc seat, and noticed the flywheel is completely unprotected. It almost looks like they used a gm bell housing and cut the bottom off for ground clearance? Is this normal? Or am I missing a dust cover or something? It has a brinn tranny. Thanks guys and my apologies for all the newbie posts.

Most rules say the flexplate/flywheel only need to be covered 270 degrees around. So they just cut out the bottom to shed some weight and gives you access.

Well that makes me feel a little better. Just looked like they turned the bell housing into a dirt scoop haha. Thanks for the reply.

We always cut the bottom open so the mud can fall out instead of getting packed inside...

Quote Originally Posted by A ron View Post
    Well that makes me feel a little better. Just looked like they turned the bell housing into a dirt scoop haha. Thanks for the reply.
    most likely thats what they did back in the later 90's I cut quit a few of them up for local racers and they hold up pretty good as long as your not twisting the left front wheel 2 feet off the track. I would say they hold up better than a bert bell housing.

Thanks guys! Makes me feel a lot better.