Thread: Best oil?

Default Best oil?

New to racing and was wondering what is the best oil to use in a ford 2300 mini stock engine

Hold on to your hat there partner. you are going to get 100 different answers and just make it more confusing for you. Good Luck!

Brad Penn. My opinion.

Wallmart oil

Any name brand 20w50 will work IMO, I've ran NAPA 20w50 oil & car ran fine. I always use a bottle of STP oil treatment also.
    I have royal purple in my 2.3L now (had a pep boys $10 off coupon) & I really cant tell any difference from the pennzoil I normally use.
    I only use NAPA or motorcraft filters, stay away from FRAM on race engines.

Like Dirtman, I run the Napa Gold filters. The oil I used to use in my hyd head engine was Rotella 40 weight diesel oil. It seemed to work just fine but since changing to a solid lifter set up I have switched to Brad Pen 10-40. It's more expensive but seems to be performing well so far.

I like Valvoline VR1 racing oil with napa or wix filters.

Brad Penn race oil.......... by far! I always use the 10% semi-synthetic. But do use their 'break-in' oil on a new or rebuilt engine. Have NEVER lost an engine due to lubrication problems. -Dave-

Dave,

How long do you leave the Brad Penn "break in" oil in?

Thanks

If we break the engine in on a dyno, a half-dozen or so pulls from low to high end, and maybe some carb tuning, I'll change the oil/filter after that period. OR......... two(2) hard practice sessions @ the race track with 20-25 laps per session, then I drain the break-in & change the oil filter. Why change the filter? I cut it open and look for any 'junk' within. And another thing I always do on every engine I've ever built/ran, whether wet or dry-sump. I modify the dip-stick tube, make it a heavy-duty, and attach a boost-vacuum gauge to the tube when the car will be on the race track. And the gauge is mounted on the roll-cage, 12"-18" away & level with the drivers eyes. A very valuable 'trouble observation' aid if something begins to go wrong within the engine. -Dave-

Default Best oil

have heard from several engine builders that Valvoline Racing oil does not have the same amount of ZDDP as it used to and it is unsuitable to run in a solid cam motor unless an additive is used. I run 20W-50 Valvoline but add a bottle of Schneider Cams Formula 3 with each oil change.

Many, many moons ago, @ the Bakersfield, CA Mesa Marin 1/2-mile, we blew our dry-sump Pinto/dual-Weber wide open using Valvoline Racing oil. I had just begun to use it. That's when I switched to Brad Penn. No problems thereafter, to this day! -Dave-

84Dave

"Have NEVER lost an engine due to lubrication problems. -Dave-"

Not sure what you're saying Dave. On one hand you say you never had a problem, on other hand you lost an engine and immediately switched oil. So which is it?

Your comments on here are greatly appreciated and I've usually had no problem with what you say. But in this case it looks as if you're trying to lay blame on something other than where blame should truly be laid.

Pump failure, lost prime, blockage in gallery, lost belt - those things I can accept as contributing to the failure of the engine. But to blame it on the oil? Really hard to believe unless it could be verified by an independent source.

Mike

This is the problem with the oil debate. How many times do people loose an engine and blame it on the oil? Most engine failures are not caused by the quality of a certain oil but people always want to use it as an excuse. I guess it makes people feel better having an excuse rather than blaming themselves for the "REAL REASON" for the engine failure.

Mike....... I should have said 'I've never lost an engine due to MECHANICAL lubrication problems with the oil system'. Previous to the Bakersfield race, I had used regular 10W-40 diesel engine oil. No lube problems. Then it was suggested to me that I might be losing a very few HP with the oil. It was recommended by a few folks that I should try the Valvoline Race oil. That's when we lost the engine. First time we had used it. Built another engine, same mechanical mod's to the lubricating system, dry-sump, and Brad Penn. Lube problem solved. -Dave-

20/50 Lucas high zinc with HP-3001 K&N filter, motor runs great. The oil is changed after 3 races. Never had an issues, when the motor is torn down it's very clean.

Mobil 1 synthetic after break in..Bearings look new after a season.. Seen it in 4 cyl and multiple V8 cars..Enought to make me trust their 15,000 mile stuff in my daily...For a low budget racer it works great.. This is short track dirt.. 20 lap mains.. Not alot of abuse...wet sump, solid head etc.

We use Valvoline VR1 20W50 and haven't had any issues in our 2.3. After breakdown, the engine is very clean.