Default High Left Side Percentage On A Wisota Mod 4

I bought a new chassis from a chassis builder just getting into building MOD 4 Chassis. When I got it put together it has over 57% left side percentage and is heavy enough so I don't need to add weight. The chassis builder has built a lot of successful full size modifieds. Having such high left side weight when I set it up with 60 pounds of bite it is only 46% cross. Should I worry about the cross percent? The only time I've had it out it was so tight it was undrivable. I'm looking for suggestions. Is this too much left side percentage? By the way this is on dirt. Thanks.

I was told not to worry about cross
    My car is at 46% also.

In the slick that much LS % may present a problem and make the car tight on entry. Off the top of my head I believe my mod is around 52% without me on the scales roughly 53.5-54% with me.

Yes I should say my cross is 46% but my ls% is 54.5 with me in the car.

Is the 57% with you in the car? I would hope so.

That being said, you can make the car work good. You can't compare "bite" numbers with the normal ones you hear from other drivers/car mfg. though. With more left and that low of cross, you will be way too tight on entry, which will screw you up for the rest of the corner.

The more cross you add, the looser it will start to get getting in (assuming you use more rear brake than front). Don't look at the "bite" number anymore.

Yes it is with me in the car. We can't run brake bias adjusters so the only way for me to use more rear brake than front is use engine braking. I'm gonna try a lot more stagger and maybe a lighter rear spring. And maybe 0 bite.

With cross% that low and left side that high, your right rear is supporting 60%-70% of the static right side weight. Unless you've really got a soft RR spring in it, your RR is getting hammered into the track on entry and the RF is hardly getting any weight transfer.

I'd start jacking bite into it until it loosens up getting in. If it becomes too tight getting off the corner then, reduce LR spring rate and/or less bar angle.

With that much left side %, you may need 200+ pounds of bite. It's not really the LR that needs the weight, it's the RF.

My springs are LF 275 RF 300 LR 100 RR150. Should I maybe try a 125 in the RR and jack the bite up to 150 or so?

I must not be reading the first post correctly, but high LS % in the slick will make you loose on entry...
    " Most of my drivers have been new to 4 link stuff and I believe most of their chassis issues are really my driver issues....... "

see ya
    johnny v

if you need more rear brake bias, run a more aggressive aftermarket pad like a hawk and run cheap stock pads up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Blue 32 View Post
    My springs are LF 275 RF 300 LR 100 RR150. Should I maybe try a 125 in the RR and jack the bite up to 150 or so?
    IMO, this would be two steps in the right direction.

Those are some low spring rates.

Just an idea, but try putting some rear steer by trailing the RR more. That will free the car up and balance it out with LR drive. Something to think about.

I think I'd go back to the builder and try to straighten this thing out. Sounds like he built a pavement car instead of dirt. A brand new car with THAT MUCH LS %? Sorry, but I think you've got a bit more of a problem.

Anonymous, the total car weight is only 1735. I have about 1/2 inch RR trail now. I was thinking about increasing it a little. Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll post how the changes work.

Raceman, How would you fix it? Maybe redo the motor mounts moving the engine right an inch or two? I'm gonna try to make it work the way it is first. Thank you.

You can get away with high LS% as long as #1 LF corner is heaviest and #2 LF is way heavier than RF. I don't know what a MOD 4 is because they don't run them in this area. But that being said as a big guy I know plenty about high ls%

[4] SUSPENSION - FRONT AND REAR
    A. Frames and Suspension
    1. No fiberglass leaf springs.
    2. Only one (1) shock absorber per wheel. No remote or external canister type shocks
    allowed. Front half of shocks can be covered.
    3. Rear shocks must be attached to rear end and frame [no linkages].
    4. No aluminum body shocks.
    5. Rear weight jacks allowed.
    6. No (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit-adjustable rear weight jack allowed. No (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit-adjustable shocks
    7. Rear trailing arms, panhard bar, lift bar or pull bar may have steel heim joints. Must be
    mounted in stock configuration. Trailing arms can be no shorter than 14 inches and no
    longer than 20 inches. Must be within one INCH in length of each other; arms may
    be adjustable. Sliders are allowed for leaf spring mounting.
    8. No coil-over shocks; no coil-over unit or torque-absorbing device on third link or lift
    bar other than rubber bushings. Coil springs must have minimum outside
    diameter of 4-1/2 inches.
    9. Mounting brackets and control arms may be interchanged between different model
    differentials. Rear-end mounting brackets may be relocated.
    10. No floating suspension components or bird cages.
    11. Steel adjustable spring shims are allowed on top of front springs.
    12. Strut rods – Soft tubing can be welded into the shaft part of the strut rod but must
    have stock rubber bushings at frame end and must retain original control arm end.
    Cutting off the front bolt area is not allowed. Must remain OEM length.
    13. Front shock absorbers must be mounted in the O.E.M. bottom mounts and in the
    O.E.M. location for the cross member being used.
    14. All front suspension components must be O.E.M. and unaltered for the front cross
    member being used. Spindles, steering arms, "A" arms, and steering components may
    NOT be lightened, bent, shortened or altered in any way.
    15. Upper "A" arms may be mounted in any location. Lower "A" arms must be mounted
    in O.E.M. mounts and in the O.E.M. location for cross member. Bottom A-frame
    bushing must have bolt hole in center of bushing, not an offset bolt hole.
    16. Front sway bars allowed. Must be stock O.E.M. to cross member with stock
    mounting; can be mounted front or rear of cross member.
    17. Intermarriage of spindles, steering arms, strut rods, hubs, "A" arms and steering
    components is permitted only within O.E.M; must be GM to GM, Ford to Ford.
    B. Steering
    1. In-(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit steering may be modified to suit driver's taste, but must be kept on the
    left side of the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit. No center steering.
    2. Solid steering joint recommended.
    3. No boxing-in of steering column.
    4. A quick-release steering wheel is required.
    5. A steering quickener is recommended but must pass safety inspection.
    6. Steering wheel must be 13" minimum diameter.
    C. Brakes
    1. All brakes must be stock (any stock production) components after master cylinder;
    no proportioning valve or no shut-off valve. Residual pressure valve is allowed. No
    aluminum components after master cylinder except residual pressure valve
    2. Front brakes must match crossmember being used. Brake and hub assemblies must
    be the same type on left and right front wheels.
    3. Disc brakes allowed on rear.
    4. Brakes must be capable of locking three (3) wheels on dry dirt. Must have brakes on
    three (3) wheels. All three calipers must work when braking.
    5. One (1) master cylinder only.
    68 © 2014 WISSOTA Promoters 2014 WISSOTA Rule Book Association
    6. Master cylinder may be an aftermarket model.
    7. No brake floaters.
    D. Shocks
    1. Shocks must be steel non-adjustable. No remote or external canister type shocks
    allowed. Shocks must be one-piece steel body. No multi-piece bodies or bulb tops
    allowed. May have removable bushing on shaft end of body. Bearing holder/eyelet
    must be fixed to body. No Schrader or bladder style valves allowed. May have
    aluminum heim joint on shaft end.
    [5] TIRES AND WHEELS
    A. Tires
    1. Dirt: Hoosier Dirt Stocker or Super Dirt Stocker A-60x13; B-60x13;
    P-225/60D-13; P-195/65D-13; P-185/65D-13.
    2. Siping and grooving tires is allowed.
    B. Wheels
    1. Wheels must be steel and a maximum of seven (7) inches wide.

[7] ENGINES
    A. Stock configuration Ford 2000, 2300; GM 140, 151; or Chrysler 2.2 engines.
    B. Bore, stroke and rod length shall be:
    Bore Stroke Rod
    GM 151 4.000" 3.000" 6.000"
    GM 140 3.500" 3.625" 5.700"
    Ford 2000 3.570" 3.030" 5.000"
    Ford 2300 3.781" 3.126" 5.200"
    Chrysler 2.2 3.440" 3.620" 5.945"
    Cylinders may be bored to a maximum of .060 over stock.
    C. Exhaust systems must be mounted in such a way as to direct gasses down and/or
    back from the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit and away from area of possible fuel spillage.
    D. Flat-top, valve relief or dished pistons only. Pistons must be three-ring. Floating wristpins
    are allowed. Coated bearings and pistons are allowed. Piston, wrist pin and rings must
    weigh a minimum of 510 grams. Wrist pin must be stock outside diameter (OD) for the
    engine being used.
    Wrist pin height - center of wrist pin to top of piston:
    Min. Max.
    GM 151 1.560 1.528
    GM 140 1.480 1.480
    Ford 2000 1.588 1.588
    Ford 2300 1.578 1.598
    Chrysler 1.572 1.573
    E. Crankshaft and connecting rods must be O.E.M. to block with no lightening, grinding or
    polishing of any type. No marine parts. Absolutely no strokers. Balancing is allowed.
    O.E.M. stock steel rods only.
    F. Camshaft may be performance type, but absolutely no roller cams, roller followers,
    roller rockers or roller lifters. Valve lift shall be no more than .525 inches at the valve.
    No reverse rotation engines allowed.
    G. No grinding, porting or polishing of any kind is allowed on heads and intake manifolds,
    including no matching of gaskets. Head may be milled on block mounting surface only.
    Head may be machined for solid cam. No acid porting allowed. Cam towers on head may
    be reinforced with welded on straps.
    H. Valve diameter must be stock for engine. Valve seat cut: the lowest angle cannot
    extend more than .250 from the beginning of the 45° angle (valve seat). Stainless steel
    and undercut valve stem valves are allowed. Valve stems and valve guides must be OEM
    stock size. No beehive/conical valve springs allowed. Intake and exhaust measurements
    must be:
    Intake Exhaust
    GM 151 1.720 1.500
    GM 140 1.625 1.375
    Ford 2000 1.653 1.418
    Ford 2300 1.739 1.500
    Chrysler 2.2 1.600 1.390
    I. No dry-sump oiling. No external pump oiling. Homemade pans or aftermarket pans
    allowed. Must be removable for teching crank and rods. Factory oil filter mounted oil
    cooler allowed.
    70 © 2014 WISSOTA Promoters 2014 WISSOTA Rule Book Association
    J. No dual camshaft heads.
    K. No reverse cooling. Water pump and pulley must be O.E.M. to block. No aluminum
    water pumps on Fords.
    L. No D-port heads, D-port intake manifolds, turbo heads or turbo intake manifolds.
    M. Engine offset must remain inside frame rails.
    N. Engine setback shall be a minimum 60" from centerline of axle housing to the back of
    the engine block.
    O. Tachs and gauges
    1. No digital tach or gauges. No rev-limiters allowed.
    2. Aftermarket timing belt tensioner allowed.
    3. Crankshaft power pulley is allowed.
    4. Aftermarket timing belt and adjustable timing belt pulleys or sprockets are allowed.
    Must remain OEM diameter.
    P. Radiator - One (1) radiator only; must be mounted in front of engine and must not
    protrude from the car.
    Q. No titanium engine parts allowed.
    R. Surge tank hose can enter into water pump. Surge tank cannot hold more than one half
    gallon of coolant and must be located in engine compartment.
    S. One 12 volt battery allowed only.
    [8] ASPIRATION - FUEL
    A. A fuel cell is required.
    B. Fuel cells other than metal must be enclosed in a minimum 20-gauge steel container.
    C. A fuel cell hoop of minimum 1-1/4" X 14-gauge in the back and extending down below
    the fuel cell is required.
    D. Single 5200-series pony car carb; E.G.R. plate O.E.M. to engine, if
    F. Carburetor throttle plate & bore must be stock: primary throttle bore 32.0 mm maximum
    and secondary throttle bore 36.00 mm maximum. Primary venturi diameter 26.00 mm,
    secondary bore 27.0 mm maximum.
    G. No blowers or turbo-chargers.
    H. Stock O.E.M. to engine 2-barrel intake manifold only.
    I. Distributor must be stock. Ford 2000 may use Ford 2300 ignition system. Ignition box
    must match distributor and must be O.E.M. Aftermarket distributor gear and intermediate
    shaft is allowed. Ford TFI ignition system allowed on Ford engines only. This system has
    the module mounted to the distributor. OEM aftermarket coil is allowed.
    J. Fuel: Gasoline only, up to E-98 Ethanol is allowed. May make changes to the carb to
    enable the use of ethanol. No alcohol, nitrous oxide or nitro. No nitrous devices allowed.
    No methane.
    K. One (1) fuel line only connected to carb. No vacuum lines on carb or on intake manifolds.
    L. Electric fuel pumps allowed, but they must be wired into the oil pressure system to
    prevent them from pumping without oil pressure.
    [9] ALUMINUM
    A. No aluminum body shocks, drive shafts, flywheels or rear-end parts.
    © 2014 WISSOTA Promoters Association 2014 WISSOTA Rule Book 71
    72 © 2014 WISSOTA Promoters 2014 WISSOTA Rule Book Association
    NOTES:

Wild Blue: RE: Engine offset - Rule M. Engine offset must remain inside frame rails.

If it's dirt, definitely, move it to the right. Talk to all the mod guys. Pretty standard practice.

Also, consider moving the fuel tank high and to the right. This also seems to be pretty common practice.

Bunch of guys here looking out for you.

Good luck.