Thread: Rebuild Cost

Default Rebuild Cost

Tonight I saw a Facebook post talking about crate rebuilds that cost $10-12k, which is obviously overpriced, and how engine builders are overcharging/taking advantage of racers. This is not the first time I have heard this rumor. I would like to write an article on the topic that either verifies the information or puts the rumor to rest. I asked for names, but have not received an answer. People "know a guy" or have "heard of a guy," etc. Does anyone know a racer that has paid this or an engine builder who has charged this? If you don't want to answer publicly, feel free to send me an email at kate@crateinsider.com or give me a call at 208-891-1545.Thanks,
    Kate Dillon
    kate@crateinsider.com
    For the latest info on the Crate Industry, check out our website at www.CrateInsider.com
    We also have a NEW Online Store at store.crateinsider.com

One thing is the parts must be genuine GM and they are expensive. Most guys sell 'em before they need a rebuild and buy new… at least that's been my experience.

I saw an ad last year on a chassis builders website that listed about five used crate motors for sale from one single car team… these were engines from the previous season. Not sure your saving any $$$ if you need five engines in one season!

10 to 12 k ? wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new crate

OK --time for a reply/comment

anyone who pays 10 to 12 K for a rebuild is insane----that beeing said there is a HUGE misunderstanding between engine builders and "some" consumers

have we (Race-1) sent 604 crate packages out with an invoice total over 10K ????----ABSOLUTELY

BUT--it includes every bolt on piece possible and of the highest quality available.

the question is "REBUILD PRICE" and yes EVERY rebuild is essentially a blueprint.

I cannot quote from the entire bank of authorized rebuilders but from our shop and associated shops that will be listed below----- a rebuild/blueprint is between $2700 and $3500 in almost all circumstances.

Race-1 330-540-7223 (Brad)
    Hendren Racing Engines 828-286-0780 (Steve)
    Blackshear Racing Engines 724-977-7424 (Don)
    Ingram Racing Engines 724-545-2663 (Mike)

when looking at a price consider what has been charged for
    example---standard $3000 rebuild with Dyno charges ($500) and a new Stealth carb ($1200)= $4700

the rebuild was $3000 not $4700----this was just an example of how folks escilate the rebuild price

hope that helps explain
    Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 06-26-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Great comment, Brad. I shared a similar comment on the Facebook post. Here is a link to the full post and comments that followed. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...397991&fref=nf
    Kate Dillon
    kate@crateinsider.com
    For the latest info on the Crate Industry, check out our website at www.CrateInsider.com
    We also have a NEW Online Store at store.crateinsider.com