Default oil restrictors.

do you guys recommend oil restrictors for solid roller heads on 2.3 fords? if so what size. first solid roller head I've had and the machinist installed a restrictor. do you still have your oil pressure fitting in the head? thanks.

olin

You are probably going to here both sides of using a restrictor or not. I never found a good reason to try one. If you are going to try it, wait till you have the cam broken in. I'm sure you know how critical that is. Personally I wouldn't.

Tried one time...restrictor sized around Holley jet size...flake of bearing from break in plugged.

Depends if you run a stock pan and a head whos oil return galleys are stock if yes on both of those yes run it or you will burn up the bearings if you turn it over 7,000

I've ran a hydraulic cam head in a pinto with a mostly stock pan and stock oil returns to 8000 for 6 years without a problem. I think I will remove it. with the hla's blocked the oil will be restricted to just the bearings and cam lobes so if there is any extra oil flying around it should help cool the springs. thanks.

olin

Don't do it....Oil keeps the cam and valves and springs oiled and COOLED.!!! oil helps cool an engine especially the head so don't do it....

I run the restrictor with solid roller applications and yes you can keep your OP fitting in stock location. It's not like you're restricting that much oil. There's still a ton of oil that moves throughout the head even with a restrictor. I also pay close attention to the size of the oil holes in the cam. If your cam has the larger oil holes you better run the restrictor or you'll wish you did *typically the older Esslinger grinds have the larger holes and some of the Cranes did as well *working off memory here for I haven't fooled with it for a good while. You'll get all kinds of opinions on this Olin but whether to run a restrictor or not depends a ton on the size of the holes in the cam lobes oiling the followers.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

lre, the wholes in the cam lobes are smaller, about 1/16in. it is a lazer cam. I'm trying it without the restrictor. will see how it goes.

olin

I dont run a restrictor in mine... yet i dont turn much more than 7k. Putney said cuz im running a flat tappet extra oil is good up there. If your running a roller then you probably dont need all that oil up there.

You probably have the small ones then Olin. I'm thinking the ones I'm speaking of are like an 1/8 of an inch. They are big. Priming the engine it will shoot clear across the shop.Put a little socket on your drill and prime it up and you'll see immediately if you need one.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Some Johnson cams have restrictors pressed in the holes in the lobes.