Default Running hot 230* 15-20 laps

2330,,new stock waterpump, 5/8 restrictor,small crank pulley, replaced single pass rad with new triple pass rad, on my 2nd electric fan. the rad hoses are new but bottom hose has no spring inside.Holley 350 and the plugs look perfect but we still went up 2 sizes.Had front panel opened up to let air in on old rad(didnt help) we closed front back up with new rad and still the same hot temps. Car is timed at 36* TFI

Had the same problem til I took off the electrics and put on a metal 4 blade fan. now it runs too cool.

agree, get rid of the electric fan. we use a plastic fan from the local speed shop. NEVER have any heating issues....

Be sure to have all the air going through the radiator. Had a similar problem and found the air was hitting the front of the radiator and then going around it (path of least resistance). We built a cold air box to direct all the air through the radiator and now we need to tape off some of the opening to get to the correct temp.

Rev the hot engine to about 5000 rpm in the shop & watch the lower radiator hose to see if it's collapsing. We had that problem a long time ago & going to a wire re-enforced lower hose fixed our heating problem. -Dave-

The rad hose is not collapsing(just checked), and we do have air directed through the rad,, except when we put the new rad in this weekend, we covered the front nose to keep dirt off rad ( figured a 3pass rad wouldnt need holes in front nose cut out.)
    so we will cut holes in the front for this weekend and also thinking about trying a 3/4 restrictor instead of the 5/8,,,If this doesnt help i guess we will have to try manual fan

Single pass radiator is the only one to CONSIDER running a restrictor. Get rid of the restrictor on a triple pass. They resist flow enough, as is.

And putting holes in nose piece is a very good idea. Just put a screen between holes and radiator.

On my .060 over 2.3L I run a single pass OEM mustang GT radiator (with plastic tanks) with an elec. fan. NO restrictor in therm. housing, OEM hoses (no steel coil in either) with a stock 1980 mustang nose. I run 190 deg every nite & only use the electric fan on yellows & when race is done.

Another thing to try is an air dam on bottom of radiator to force air up into it (I have that also on mine). Just an old piece of aluminum about 1" lower than the nose, this alone will keep you cooler under green IMO.
    Last edited by Dirtman29; 06-23-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Make sure the head is not over Deck, this to has been seen as a problem a time or two. And tun the Esslinger 7" pulley slow down the water pumps rotations.

Thanks for the help guys,, took the restrictor out and ran 185* all night !

now you need a racing thermostat to get your temps back up to 195-205 degrees.

olin