Default Canister shock question

Our track has decided to not allow canister shocks on limited lates. I use a set of Afco m2's and don't really have the money to purchase new ones. Is it possible to just plug off the canister port with a bolt and use as is? What affect if any would this have on the function of the shock. I have no knowledge of shock tech at all so, I thought I'd ask before I either get thrown out or, have to sit a few weeks trying to buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by 17m fan View Post
    Our track has decided to not allow canister shocks on limited lates. I use a set of Afco m2's and don't really have the money to purchase new ones. Is it possible to just plug off the canister port with a bolt and use as is? What affect if any would this have on the function of the shock. I have no knowledge of shock tech at all so, I thought I'd ask before I either get thrown out or, have to sit a few weeks trying to buy something else.
    Short answer is NO don't do that. Sell your shocks to get $$$ for something you can use.

For what it's worth, that's an idiotic rule and you are a prime example why. They make these shock rules claiming to save racers money yet here you are unable to race because your shocks (which were perfectly good shocks) have been made obsolete by a backward-thinking rule. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The people making your rules know less about shocks than you do.

There is no magic in the canister itself; it is just where some components are located (e.g. base valve). A set of Genesis G3s or Integra IDAs would be legal with your rules but are more expensive and actually better shocks than the Afco M2s in my opinion.

That's my thinking too...I've looked at this 15 different ways and I still can't figure how switching to a "cheaper" shock is going to save me anything when the ones I have are perfectly fine. I race weekly with guys that have and don't have canisters and neither shock package appears superior.
    Last edited by 17m fan; 06-22-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 17m fan View Post
    That's my thinking too...I've looked at this 15 different ways and I still can't figure how switching to a "cheaper" shock is going to save me anything when the ones I have are perfectly fine. I race weekly with guys that have and don't have canisters and neither shock package appears superior.
    Shocks (regardless of price) are only as good as the knowledge of their owner. Understanding your shocks goes a lot further at the pay-out window than dropping big bucks on brand X.

Get yourself hooked up with a reputable shock guy that knows your car and the tracks you run. It's the best money you'll ever spend in racing.