Default floater rear .. smoking after the feature

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. After I run a feature (15 laps plus caution laps) I come in and there is a lot of smoke from the rear end ... Enough I get some strange looks ... Any ideas what could cause this ... Running a gallon of fluid in it but thinking there are no inner seals ... No leaks to speak of either ... Also will this hurt anything in the rear end

A gallon is too much fluid for a floater. If you run inner seals in both sides, you should need no more than 2.3-3 quarts of fluid. I recommend getting the seals in the inside of the axle tubes if you do not currently haven them. that way you do not wash down your bearings in your hubs.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Check you rear end fluid, does it smell burnt or look black the fluid is bad.. If it does drain the fluid, check the fluid for bearing material. Stir the fluid with your finger in the drain pan, if it turn silver looking, you have bearing material or the gear is flaking off in the fluid. A rebuild my be necessary of the rear end. Hopefully you will not need this. Inner seal will help help keep the rear fluid in the center section to cool and lubricate the gear. Without the seals all the fluid is in the right tube. When you install the inner seals make sure you pack the wheel bearings in grease. I would at least change the rear fluid to be safe. When you fill the rear end fill to the bottom of the the fill hole how ever much rear fluid it takes. Hope this helps and the gear and bearings are okay.... Mike

Additional thought, if you use seals in the inner axle tubes, grease the end of the axles where the drive plate covers the hub.

1 gallon (4qts) works fine in a floater. that is not your problem.

Takes us around a gallon to get to the check plug on our 9" fords and we have never had any problems in 13 years using that much.

I would check your fluid and bearings.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

I use 5 quarts without any inner seals and if the rr hub seal is good I don't have any issues leaking gear oil.