Thread: over heating

Default over heating

I am helping someone out. this thing overheats in 15 laps, first ti was throwing the belts, put aftermarket ps pump on no belt throwing issues. my question is on the crank and water pump pulleys. 1-1 or 20% reduction? i also have a 3/4 restrictor in it. any help would be good and apreciated thanks mark
    mark41

I had better luck with reduction pulleys, other things to consider...
    What radiator?
    What water pump, stock or hi flow?
    What type of fan?
    Any openings in the nose?

Go to Stewart's website, excellent tips there. I will say they do not recommend any restrictor. They say nothing or a racing t-stat in the neck. I went to nothing in the neck and it fixed my problem.

it has a stock short pump on it, 28 inch afco radiator,appears to have a smaller crank pulley than water pump pulley and 3/4 restrictor. when he changed the power steering pump from a stock one to a race pump they put the pulleys on it, this is when the overheating started. previously it would throw the belt off and the reason for changint to the race pump.
    mark41

single or double pass radiator, no restrictor, 1:1 pulleys, 4 blade fan with a good shroud with the blades half in on/out the shroud should fix your problems. Also check your plugs to ensure your not too lean and timing is not over 36 degrees.

its a single pass radiator. no restictor? i did a lot of the things you suggested and what a difference it made!! I am in the process of building them a new chassis, the old one is bent i the right rear corner down about 1 5/8"...
    mark41