Default 604 on Methanol need an oil cooler?

Is it necessary to run an oil cooler with a 604 on methanol or would using the CV SPIN-OF-2000---High Flow Oil Filter Adapter be acceptable with no cooler?

the adapter you listed will be helpful should you choose to not run a cooler
    below I will paste a response to one of my customers with a very similar question ---hope the info helps

I will never talk you out of an oil cooler but the actual "need" for one depends on your application

if your car makes good traction or you typically run on traction tracks then the need is more apparent

the alcohol will keep overall temperatures down but oil temperature can still sky rocket when an engine has to labor

I always say if you are going to run a cooler ----do it right or don't do it at all

if your average feature race is 25 laps you should be fine without one

as for maintenance-----a lubricating additive is a MUST----many different opinions here as to what to use but something needs to be in there

we are "currently" using carb defender by Driven (Gibbs) it is actually made for e-85 applications but we really like the results of the product with all fuels

oil changes should be more frequent and this can roll back into our cooler topic-------oil temperatures on methanol NEED TO BE OVER 212 degrees-----this removes the moisture from the oil-------------however in excess of 250 to 260 is bad and will cut power

back to the fuel system-----flushing the methanol from the pump ---regulator and carb with a lubricated non ethanol gasoline on a nightly basis will insure your system to run its best week after week

Brad

When you are on a hooked up hammer down race track you will be glad you had an oil cooler. The rest of the time, they really aren't required.

Update: Using the spin on filter adapter listed in my original post my oil temp is within 10 degrees of 210 without the use of an oil cooler.

SCD,

I can't comment on what the poster actually has seen but i can comment on what we found.

I had a customer that refused to run a cooler because of the weight----he is a top running car that runs 50 to 100 lap races---------with a traditional "stock style" filter he continually pegged the oil temperature gauge
    we switched him to the CV stuff using a wix 51268R filter and temps became readable----(still high, but atleast on the gauge)

made a believer out of me ----but i am always open to input

Brad

I am curious what the dyno #'s look like for a 604 on alky. Not a high compression engine, but torque, I would think, would increase a good bit.

Is this a cost effective equalizer to the high $ fuel being used?

(Yeah, I know you will have to buy a new carb,etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    What was your temp with a standard oil filter and oil filter adapter?
    I have only run this with the high flow adapter so I cant compare the two but it does fit my application requirements.