Default Powerglide problems

Hey guys I just installed my new motor and was moving the car around the yard and it kept popping out of low gear into a Neutral?? It shifts fine from Park to R to D but when I put it in low if I go to far with the shifter it falls out of gear altogether. Any ideas on what broke?

You can pull the pan and look at the detent, some people call it the roster comb. Heard of those braking, although I've never seen one brake.

Did you find out anything? What Dirt Racer says is likely the problem (either broke or misaligned), but, if it wasn't, we can help you figure this out.

What's weird to me about this is you're saying it pops from Low to Neutral. This would make it skip completely over High?? May be a broken manual spool valve.

could have a valve body in it like a guy here in Indiana used to build

P
    R
    N
    L
    H

he would re-route the valve body so you could pull back for high gear, so there was no risk in going into neutral.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Yeah, I wondered about it being a reverse pattern valve body.

The other thing I was thinking was maybe the detent guide plate has come loose. You really shouldn't be able to "go to far with the shifter" if that plate is there unless something is broken or loose.

reverse shift pattern glides are awesome. wish I had mine back

Guess he fixed it. Kinda defeats some of the purpose of the website if the OP never comes back on and says what the problem was. If it was something different than what was mentioned above, maybe we all could learn something instead of just him.

Sorry guys been busy I took the pan off and then took the plate off that covers the Shift shaft and noticed there was a clamp on the shaft that was held tight by a Allan Key bolt that was so loose it was falling out I tried adjusting it to where I think it looked right and tightened it up. That fixed the problem for the most part but I can still pull the shifter back to far and it will still pop out of gear but I can race it in low as long as I don't hit the shifter as IM driving. I am going to put a lock on the shifter so it cant go that far back.

Quote Originally Posted by fastpro28 View Post
    Sorry guys been busy I took the pan off and then took the plate off that covers the Shift shaft and noticed there was a clamp on the shaft that was held tight by a Allan Key bolt that was so loose it was falling out I tried adjusting it to where I think it looked right and tightened it up. That fixed the problem for the most part but I can still pull the shifter back to far and it will still pop out of gear but I can race it in low as long as I don't hit the shifter as IM driving. I am going to put a lock on the shifter so it cant go that far back.
    Something is still weird here... You shouldn't be able to shift it past Low gear if the linkage is hooked up right. I am going to take the pan off one of my tranny's and see if I can figure out what is causing this. You shouldn't have to use a stop on the shifter to keep this from happening.

I tried it with the shifter and linkage disconnected and it still does it so its in the tranny somewhere.