Thread: Ford pure stock

Default Ford pure stock

I'm sure this question has been asked but I can not find it, what ford car makes the best candidate to build a pure stock out of? I would prefer something with front steering setup. I have a lead on a 1989 (I think) Lincoln Town car, haven't looked at it yet so not sure if it would be good to start with or not, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Early 90's under 95 Crown Vic frame is best. If you can find an old 2 door LTD Crown Vic that's the old go to body style.

I was thinking crown vic was what I was going to use, couldn't decide which would be better 98-02 with watts link rear suspension or the 97 & earlier. Figured the pre 97 would be stouter and Im building it for my youngest boy so tough would be a good thing.

I have often thought of building one with the 98-02, shorten chassis to 110" and put a mustang looking body on it.

in my spare time....lol
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

JustAddDirt that is our plan, I have a buddy who deals in mustangs so he will get us a body, my only prob now is everyone with a 98-02 crown vic wants $1500 up around here local.

They want so much for them cause the demo derby guys found out they had very strong chassis' under them...
    Tracks visited...

New Smyrna Speedway
    Citrus County Speedway
    Auburndale Speedway
    Eastbay Raceway Park
    Orlando Speedworld
    Bubba Raceway Park
    Punta Gorda Speedway
    Volusia County Speedway

Bought a complete 1990 Lincoln Towncar last night for $150, now to start stripping it, the part I hate.

We built one with the wattz link cut down to 108 in . Car was surprisingly light and is fast ! it takes some getting use to driving with the wattz link ! The chassis wide and holds the track nice and you don't need a steering quickner either . We left the stock rearend in it and had problems breaking the stud that holds the wattz link to the rearend ! Great chassis !

What offset of wheels did you run nolimits9? I was getting ready to order wheels but dont want to get the wrong offsets. Im cutting this car down to 108" and we got a complete 73 mustang body that will be sitting on it.

dirtracer2a
    mach 1 fastback
    or
    Coupe (notchback)
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

its just a coupe, i wouldnt feel right about tearing up a fastback lol

Easy, I run a 70 mustang, leaf spring, rear steering car, and it's fast. The great thing about is if you bend a control arm, you can a brand new one from a restoration web site. No running to junk yard.

Quote Originally Posted by bullwhinkle View Post
    Easy, I run a 70 mustang, leaf spring, rear steering car, and it's fast. The great thing about is if you bend a control arm, you can a brand new one from a restoration web site. No running to junk yard.
    You run stock front suspension? How does it hold up on a rough track? Have an 80 granada that I want to try.

Yes all stock. Holds up fine, stiff spring setup in front, very soft rear. I think the Granada and Mustang used the same front suspension parts.

Bullwinkle, sent you a pm