Default Triple disc clutch problem

I have a Quartermaster triple disc clutch and Saginaw 3 speed and when I go to put the car in reverse to leave my pit stall it won't go into reverse, it just grinds. Its a little hard to get into 2nd gear and shifts into 3rd once I'm on the track fine. When I push the clutch in and roll the car it makes a grinding noise. We tried bleeding it at the throw out bearing already. Thanks for the help.

What is the clearance between the throw out bearing and the fingers of the clutch pressure plate? Check with manufacture for clearance. WE set ours up to 1/8 of an inch. Throw out bearing only has so much travel, to much clearance will not disengage the clutch disk completely, which will keep the transmission gears still engaged with power from the engine. Are the clutch disk installed properly ? Sorry had to ask. New or used clutch, could have a warped clutch disk, steel plate ,or even pressure plate. That could be with a new or used clutch assembly. You might have to take the clutch assembly out and check with a straight edge. Hope this helps, let us know what happened. Mike

had this problem when i put new quartermaster discs in an ace clutch. for whatever reason they were just a hair to big and wore grooves in the round spacers between the front and rear cover.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vrbka7v View Post
    I have a Quartermaster triple disc clutch and Saginaw 3 speed and when I go to put the car in reverse to leave my pit stall it won't go into reverse, it just grinds. Its a little hard to get into 2nd gear and shifts into 3rd once I'm on the track fine. When I push the clutch in and roll the car it makes a grinding noise. We tried bleeding it at the throw out bearing already. Thanks for the help.
    The gear crunch going into reverse would indicate to me the transmission input shaft is still spinning. Either your clutch is not disengaging completely or the pilot bearing/bushing is dragging. Reverse has no synchronizer., put the car in a high (synchronized)_gear and the quickly into reverse may allow a smother reverse engagement till you find which it dragging. It's more likely to be the clutch setup.
    Last edited by jedclampit; 07-14-2014 at 12:09 PM.

do you have the disc in the right way

I had to pry the transmission apart from the engine because the input shaft was stuck inside the clutch. Once I got it apart I found the splines on one disc was completely stripped and the other two were beginning to strip out. The pilot bushing was cracked as well and fell right out. I don't know what caused this. Any ideas?

I have seen bell housings that didn't line up the trans straight with the engine. Good luck