Thread: Cleaning tires

Default Cleaning tires

My usual tire routine consists of...
    Remove, inspect, flip / throw away Monday after the races.
    Then knock off the heavy mud with pressure washer and let dry.
    light scuff with 80 grit across the tread on a buffer.
    Then wash with dish soap, pressure wash again, let dry & wrap.

I've tried a 50/50 mix of Simple Green & water that everyone swears by through soaking with a pressure sprayer and scrubbing like mad but, still have dirt down in the tire grooves.

My best results have came from Dawn dish washing liquid and a short bristle brush as far as making a tire look new and relatively easily getting down into the grooves and sipes clean.

Perhaps I didn't let it soak enough? Sprayed enough on? Not mixed it? Are there any drawback to using dish liquid? Seems like I may have read somewhere that dish liquid pulls the oils out of the rubber.

How is everyone else doing it?
    Last edited by 17m fan; 07-16-2014 at 02:15 PM.

I use a wire grill brush to scrub mine after soaking in simple green.

Get a stronger pressure washer also hot water makes a difference. I wash whats on the car then unload the car put on stands and take all the tires to the car wash. Simple green opens the pores but if you dont get it all out it really takes the oil out.

Quote Originally Posted by 17m fan View Post
    My usual tire routine consists of...
    Remove, inspect, flip / throw away Monday after the races.
    Then knock off the heavy mud with pressure washer and let dry.
    light scuff with 80 grit across the tread on a buffer.
    Then wash with dish soap, pressure wash again, let dry & wrap.

I've tried a 50/50 mix of Simple Green & water that everyone swears by through soaking with a pressure sprayer and scrubbing like mad but, still have dirt down in the tire grooves.

My best results have came from Dawn dish washing liquid and a short bristle brush as far as making a tire look new and relatively easily getting down into the grooves and sipes clean.

Perhaps I didn't let it soak enough? Sprayed enough on? Not mixed it? Are there any drawback to using dish liquid? Seems like I may have read somewhere that dish liquid pulls the oils out of the rubber.

How is everyone else doing it?
    I use 80% Simple Green/20% Water solution in a sprayer. I water down the tires then spray them down with the Simple Green mix. Then use a regular water hose and spray off the first one I sprayed. Never had any issues with any mud sticking. On stubborn mud I will spray it a second time and let it sit for a few minutes then spray it right off. No more scrubbing or pressure washer.

a turbo nozzle for your pressure washer best thing ever for washing tires !!!

we use laundry detergent and mix it through the pressure washer

I listened to Clayman and the turbo nozzle is THE best money in racing I've ever spent. If you don't have one, go spend the $35 at Lowes and get one. You will not be sorry.

Yep, Simple green, pressure washer, and a scrub brush.

Buff and wrap

turbo nozzle is good, at work we have a heated pressure washer i take tires to u dont even have to use soap and they look brand new. i actually clean em with my pressure washer first then grind and prep then use the heated washer to get everything off all the grind tethers n dust then spray them with wd 40. they will look brand new.