Default powerglide question

When the poweglide is set in park, I can still roll the car. I hear some grinding sound. When it is on jackstands, and I shift to reverse, it rolls the wheels backwards. So that is good when I shift to neutral it starts to turn the wheels forward. And low gear also turns them forward. So what is causing the park and neutral problem? Could it be a linkage setting being off or something more serious in the transmission. The rear end is welded.

Moving forward in neutral could just be that the low band is a little too tight. You can loosen it a turn at the lock nut up near where the shifter lever goes in the transmission. You will need an hex head socket (or wrench) and a 9/16 box end to loosen the jam nut. I think the hex head is somewhere around 7/32, but don't remember off the top of my head. If the car doesn't move when it's sitting on the ground, I wouldn't worry about it too much anyways.

If your shifter isn't allowing the shift lever to go fully into park, this could be causing that issue. Take the shifter linkage loose at the trans and try putting it in park directly with the shift lever on the side of the trans to check.

If that's not the problem, then it's something internal. Either part of the parking pawl assembly is worn/broken or the teeth on the planetary are worn off. You'll have to visually inspect it.

If the transmission is a direct drive, ( with no converter ) that may be normal, the pressures in the valve body has been changed for a converter less transmission. Mine has done that since installed, it will very slowly pull it self out of the garage with the engine running and in neutral, but this a race transmission, not meant to idle but hammer down. Speed buggy is correct with the park. The parking pawl will lock into the drum in the transmission to lock the trans, check linkage, hope it will be an easy adjustment and not have to tear into the trans. Mike