Thread: Motor question

Default Motor question

Helping a friend on his northern sport mod and we are having problems with the motor. last friday i packed the track and it had a really high idle would have to hit brakes to slow down in doing so the motor would load up. during both races theres a blue flame coming out both headers. Driver said the car would load up coming out of the corners. feature it ran 240 on temp during race and afterwards got up to 260, went to water hose to cool down in the infield and noticed the right side header was cherry red. guy who built the motor isnt really worried about it and said power valve is causing the issue. timing is set at 36 deg, 2 barrel. im thinking its a timing issue and other say its too lean. i need opinions. TIA Patrick

I had a motor do that and it was the distributor. It still had fly weights and I took them out and locked it down.(welded). Also if its msd the polarity might be reversed.

high idle that won't lower = vacuum leak
    I run 38-40deg timing on my 487 heads

Definitely timing. Check your marks. Sounds like it's 36° retarded .

Thanks for the responses. my hands are tied when it comes to the motor. Guy who built it doesnt want anyone to touch it.

Sounds like a timing issue. We had that issue. Motor got hot quick and shot flames, so we checked the timing and the distributor clamp came loose and it backed it down to around 20* timing.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

valves set to tight