Default What RF spring is everyone running on average?

Got a dirt works chassis, was running a 650 rf and people.are telling me it's to stiff, the tire is rolling over and have some front push, thanks for the help!

I run a 550 on rf on chevelle stub

Quote Originally Posted by sniper05 View Post
    Got a dirt works chassis, was running a 650 rf and people.are telling me it's to stiff, the tire is rolling over and have some front push, thanks for the help!
    Too much load transfer to the RF while cornering. As load increases on a wheel, the traction capabilities decrease for that wheel. A pair/set of tires have optimum traction capabilities when they are more equally loaded. Spring rates are specific per race car. I know of cars that have 250-300 rates in the front, equipped with a sway bar.
    Find me on Facebook: Impetus Dirt Racing Technologies

I'm running 500 on the LF and 550 on the RF with a Chevelle stub.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

500 LF 550RF also

Being stiffer on the Lf, generally increases the roll angle of the front suspension, ie., more closely matching the roll angle of the rear susp. This usually gives a more predictable handling racecar.

Don't worry about what people are telling you. What is the car telling you? that's the question.. give your car what it needs. Dirtworks seem to work better with a stiffer spring in the RF such as 650 or 700. I always liked 650 rf and 700 LF in my dirtworks.

^^^^ Exactly. Give the car what it wants.

The softer you run in the rf, when the track gets real slick, the better your car will work. Too stiff of a rf spring tends to shear the contact patch when the track gets slick.It also depends on what tire you are allowed to run, even then it is a compromise with the rest of your setup.

I agree with above, give the car what it wants and don't worry about numbers. If you are getting the travel out of the 650 then look elsewhere for your handling issues. I'm on 550# across the front of my chevelle car. But I know guys running similar chassis using 600# LF and 450# RF. My car and the tracks I run the 450# is to soft.

In switched to a 500 rf and its a world of difference! But im still running a 600 in the lf? It still pushes alittle on exit, but think I can handke that through the rear

Haven't posted much on here but I kinda posted something similar except trying to figure out why you're doing it... You can't take what everyone's running and be successful at every track. I posted about what front springs and why and it seems most are shooting in the dark as toWhy without knowing the reasoning behind he spring change. I don't see running the same springs running a 1/4 mile continuous sweeping track vs say a point and shoot tacky 3/8. Maybe the track you run, conditions, and pros and cons would be nice to know. Sorry of i come off as hacking this thread but I couldn't get any answers to the post I posted.

Engine height/weight is a big factor determining what Rf to run
    Jbar angle and height will also affect what Rf spring to run.
    A high engine with steel heads will require a 650 with a chevelle clip IMO
    Heavy fast tracks..Stiff RF
    Slow tracks...soft RF

How about the rear springs if on a 550 rf.

These are the springs that I run with an IMCA claim motor. RF 550, LF 500, RR 200, LR 175. I run at a fairly fast, dry 3/8 banked track. Started with 175s in the back and a 450 in the RF. For this track and the way my front suspension is layed out, the 450 was too soft. Went from a 450 to a 500 and settled on the 550.

Metric clip, Metric lowers and spindles. IMCA mod, dry slick moderately banked 1/3 mile track. I run 700 LF and 750 RF. 225 LR and 175 RR. Car is good in heat race when track is tacky and smooth. Come feature time 95% of the time its black dry slick. Car tends to skate a bunch and be loose. Using up all but 2.5-3" of the RF shock Thinking of dropping both front springs by 50Lbs and see what happens. Also going to try dropping ride heights by an inch or so. I've been told that an all metric front ends need to be ran a little lower than Chevelle clips due to the metrics being "taller".