Default Hard to believe..... vapor cant be a good lubricant.

So I know it has been discussed before, but I dont feel comfortable with 300+ degrees of oil temp. From what some of you have said it is normal for these ford 2.3 motors to run hot on oil temp. I put a new temp gauge in my pan this off season and last race it pegged itself.... yup did a full 360 and im guessing thats over 300 degrees. Im pretty sure oil isnt a liquid anymore at that temp. One thing I have noticed is that oil only gets hot when turning high rpms under high load. My water temp stays under 200 degrees. Max rpm I turn is 7200 and im running the 20-50w VR1 racing oil. I feel like I have to change my oil after every race because the heat cant be good for the oil... any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You probably aren't seeing things.They will run that hot.Just incase, does the sending unit match the gauge? That can throw off the reading on the gauge. Is the gauge electric or the manual type? I have seen them run that high before. Yes it is a good idea to change the oil often. I have always changed oil after every night of racing, that being one of the reasons. If you wanted a second opinion you would have to try another gauge just to confirm what you are seeing, but it is likely you are seeing the correct temp now. Any brand of oil will start to break down at temps like that so change it often. Pedal to the metal!

The gauge and sending unit came in the kit brand new from speedway. I trust the gauge, and its a mechanical type. I just dont feel comfortable turning 7200 with vapor as my oil.

I blew up my best 231HP SOHC Ford 4-cylinder on a 1/2-mile track in CA using that 20W-50 VR1 JUNK racing oil! It doesn't have enough ZDDP (zinc) in it! Switched to Brad Penn 10% Synthetic Racing on the replacement engine & won the season Championship. Problem solved! Check the BradPenn Web site. -Dave-

So Dave, are you saying your engine blew because of a low amount of zinc in your oil? I here people all the time blaming their oil for their failures. Sure your next engine was fine on a different oil because it wasn't the same engine so you see where I'm heading with this. Very few failures are the result of bad oil. Also, I don't see the point of telling everyone how much horsepower you are making or are you trying to impress someone? Sorry for railroading your post CamaroFever.

lets leave the form bashing to the japanese tuner guys who only know turbo language.

Camarofever:

Well said, I strongly agree! Everyone has their own experience, and from that, their own opinion! Share yours if you wish, respect the opinions of others!
    JerryM

i have seen oil temp gauge give false readings from being to close to the exhaust,also have you considered running an oil cooler if you dont already have one?
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com