Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    I disagree with the "traditional" argument, its a load of you know what..... I hear purists whine about Late models at Knoxville and Eldora and Williamsburg....bull pucky if you can put a show on for the fans then try it, if it doesn't work, then that's fine, move on to try something else....but the "purist" argument is bunk....JMO
    I would agree on the "purist" thing, Mud. There are no sacred venues but dirt late models will likely always play second fiddle to the 360's and 410 Nationals at Knoxville.

That having been said, we were in the grandstands for the very first laps NASCAR ever turned at Indianapolis in June of 1993 the Monday following the Michigan Cup race, in fact we drove down from MIS Sunday night, stayed in a Speedway motel to make sure we would see this first tire test.

And, after watching about an hour of tire testing a group of about 5 of us setting together there in Tower Terrace came to the conclusion that a NASCAR race would be a huggy pole snoozer with no side by side racing. Anyone could see that from the get go and this was over a year prior to the first Brickyard 400.

It took about 15 years to sink in but the inevitable has now come to fruition in the form of little or no interest in NASCAR racing at Indy.

We rarely ever see a good race on a big track...well, other then the tandem racing some years back and that looked like to much fun so NASCAR outlawed it...

i quit going to indy when they put all them grand stands in the infield which is just totally unacceptable.

Maple Park, IL. Home of Sycamore Speedway!!

Quote Originally Posted by buster83 View Post
    i quit going to indy when they put all them grand stands in the infield which is just totally unacceptable.
    Wasn't that about the dumbest thing to do? Lets completely block the view of the back stretch so more fans can be on the front to see the finish better??? WTF??? Lol
    Scott Bloomchrist... The Lord, and Ruler of DIRT!!

"Hope everybody appreciated that ass kicking"
    -Scott Bloomquist

Phil

Maybe they should try running the road course... Just a thought, I mean Indy is synonymous with racing. If I remember right, the tire fiasco went hand in hand with that levigating nonsense some tracks tried and it was terrible. Screwed Charlotte up and Indy. What they don't seem to understand is Faster, Better handling cars don't make for better racing. The cars need to be a hand full, tracks shouldn't be perfectly smooth, tires need to blow and engines should come unglued randomly too. Personally I think it'd be better if NASCRAP went back to a stock based engine, not a purpose built, bullet proof, twist to infinity number. Narrower tires and less purpose built parts, I mean seeing who could last was half the bragging rights... JMO
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

The truth is, is that most people can not even see 10% of the action going on, on the track. And the rest of them were drunk and saw nothing!!

clayton are stilll in the stands waiting on bloomer to show up and 10 precent if that the truth I was there years ago on the second weekend of tiime trails we were at the very top of the grandstands on the main straight and we saw chit road course does sound good

Just to set the record straight, our seats for the Indy 500 are in B Stand Penthouse and we can see about 1/2 of turn 4, the whole front straight away, all of turn 1, all of the South short chute and about 1/2 of turn 2. Although that is nowhere near the whole track, it's considerable more than 10%.

Indy is one of those tracks that is so historical and is such hallowed ground that those that love it, and there are many, don't care that the sight lines are horrible. I for one would rather watch an Indy Car race at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet. You can see the whole track from any seat in the place and the racing was as good or better than any track on the circuit but it would be half empty despite all of that. Indy, on the other hand, draws over a quarter of a million people every Memorial Day Weekend. Many who have been to decades worth of Indy 500's.

Chicagoland just didn't have the history, mystique, aura and magic that Indianapolis Motor Speedway has. I can't explain it but it's fact, nonetheless.

I disagree with the "traditional" argument, its a load of you know what..... I hear purists whine about Late models at Knoxville and Eldora and Williamsburg....bull pucky if you can put a show on for the fans then try it, if it doesn't work, then that's fine, move on to try something else....but the "purist" argument is bunk....JMO if it wasn't for late models coming to Eldora the track wold be just a track dont believe ask Earl

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Just to set the record straight, our seats for the Indy 500 are in B Stand Penthouse and we can see about 1/2 of turn 4, the whole front straight away, all of turn 1, all of the South short chute and about 1/2 of turn 2. Although that is nowhere near the whole track, it's considerable more than 10%.

Indy is one of those tracks that is so historical and is such hallowed ground that those that love it, and there are many, don't care that the sight lines are horrible. I for one would rather watch an Indy Car race at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet. You can see the whole track from any seat in the place and the racing was as good or better than any track on the circuit but it would be half empty despite all of that. Indy, on the other hand, draws over a quarter of a million people every Memorial Day Weekend. Many who have been to decades worth of Indy 500's.

Chicagoland just didn't have the history, mystique, aura and magic that Indianapolis Motor Speedway has. I can't explain it but it's fact, nonetheless.

So are you going to watch racing, or spending your time hob nobbing to show how cool you are? I don't think I have ever watched a complete INDY 500....boring train racing if you ask me...kinda like Bristol was back in the day. I don't go to a track for history, mystic or any thing else but racing. I think I'm probably figuring out why you don't like the chase, it constitutes change, and your stuck in the past. JMO I know it sounds critical and rather angry, but that isn't the way its meant...

Quote Originally Posted by LITE-INN View Post
    I disagree with the "traditional" argument, its a load of you know what..... I hear purists whine about Late models at Knoxville and Eldora and Williamsburg....bull pucky if you can put a show on for the fans then try it, if it doesn't work, then that's fine, move on to try something else....but the "purist" argument is bunk....JMO if it wasn't for late models coming to Eldora the track wold be just a track dont believe ask Earl
    The DLM's at Knoxville are flippin awesome...I have gone there about three times and have not been disappointed. Haven't made Eldora yet, but its on the bucket list.

So are you going to watch racing, or spending your time hob nobbing to show how cool you are? I don't think I have ever watched a complete INDY 500....boring train racing if you ask me...kinda like Bristol was back in the day. I don't go to a track for history, mystic or any thing else but racing. I think I'm probably figuring out why you don't like the chase, it constitutes change, and your stuck in the past. JMO I know it sounds critical and rather angry, but that isn't the way its meant...
    Judging by the last 2 Indy 500's you don't know what you're talking about. The 97th and 98th Indy 500's were good. No, very good racing. Boring train racing? Not a chance.

I really don't care what kind of racing you are interested in. I really don't care what you go to a track for, either.

As far as me not being interested in the chase (gimmick) it has nothing to do with being stuck in the past. You don't know anything about me and least of all whether I like change or not.

I merely explained why the interest in The Indy 500 is so much larger than any other Indy Car race. In addition, The Indy 500 draws a bigger crowd than any NASCAR Cup race and more than twice the crowd than most NASCAR Cup races and is the largest one day sporting event in the world.

There has to be a reason for those facts and I'm opining that it's because of the history and the mystique that surrounds the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indy 500. Next year will be the 99th running of the Indy 500, all on the same race track that is 105 years old. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it.
    Last edited by CIRF; 12-27-2014 at 07:15 PM.

it was great watching it on tv but just can't see going there besides you can watch it then head to the track afterward

it was great watching it on tv but just can't see going there besides you can watch it then head to the track afterward
    Huh???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Huh???!!!!
    that should be favorite short track

I don't know, I just don't get wrapped up in all that history garb... history of our nation ya, important, but history of a sporting event? Nope don't think so.. but that's just me...

that should be favorite short track
    Say what?!!

Your family tree must be a cactus because everybody on it is a prick. "

I don't know, I just don't get wrapped up in all that history garb... history of our nation ya, important, but history of a sporting event? Nope don't think so.. but that's just me...
    That's cool, I understand just what you mean.

I (and millions of others judging by the dramatic drop in popularity of Cup racing), on the other hand, don't get wrapped up in rules (just gimmicks, really) that are designed to produce phony excitement in racing where it doesn't exist.

The 2013 & 2014 Indy 500's both proved beyond a doubt that the "rules" aren't necessary if the cars, drivers and crews are up to the task.
    Last edited by CIRF; 12-28-2014 at 09:42 AM.