Thread: 2.3 questions

Default 2.3 questions

I have 2 questions. First in a stock 2.3 hits 6k rpm that it cant get anymore out of it what could be going on with that i know it can run higher than that? My biggest question in a 2.3 modified motor car runs awesome in garage get to track first gear runs great on launch builds rpm takes off blah blah but once it is shifted into second gear it starts spitting and sputtering and after a couple laps just shut off pushed back to pits fires up same thing happened when got back out on track. i cant seem to figure out what is going on

Default 1&2

Quote Originally Posted by armymechanic2003 View Post
    I have 2 questions. First in a stock 2.3 hits 6k rpm that it cant get anymore out of it what could be going on with that i know it can run higher than that? My biggest question in a 2.3 modified motor car runs awesome in garage get to track first gear runs great on launch builds rpm takes off blah blah but once it is shifted into second gear it starts spitting and sputtering and after a couple laps just shut off pushed back to pits fires up same thing happened when got back out on track. i cant seem to figure out what is going on
    first = valve springs , second =best guess fuel pump or restriction in line.

Might be giving it too much fuel too. Ive noticed when ive been way too rich first gear is fine cause there is less load, but once in 2nd it will blubber like crazy. Another thing to double check is timing. Ive had a problem similar to yours and found out the aux gear jumped a tooth giving me 16 degrees of total timing. Check the basics first (ign timing, cam timing, vacuum leaks, fuel lines/pump, compression) then go from there with your carb setup and valve springs.

not sure how it can be valve springs since it is a new head set up by ford but i can check it out. any other options it could be for rpm. the second car i believed it to be fuel as well. it is not my car and my buddy couldnt figure it out. he pulled his fuel filter it came out black so new filter clean out fuel lines and checking all of the carb stuff and reset timing as well. thanks and anymore info on the first one would be great

If you want higher RPMs you will definitely need stiffer valve springs. OEM springs are only around 90#, I have 110# in mine & it will hit 7500 RPM with ease. Not sure what a stock cam will tolerate...

6000 is about the limit of the oem valve springs
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Id lean toward carb or timing.. Ive turned a completely stock 88 Stang motor 7200 before the springs gave way..