Thread: Air pressure

Default Air pressure

In kart'racing we general run 5pds on left and 6pds on right it vary up or down a little depending on track conditions but general we try to stay around the 5 & 6 pounds, so with that being said is there a air pressure you general try to stay around and what kind split is run in crate late models.

Here is my baseline

LF: 8psi RF: 12psi
    LR: 6psi RR: 10Psi

www.nextlevellatemodel.com

I run LF 10.. RF.. 12.. LR 6..RR 10..

Wow I didn't know you guys ran such a low air pressure I would have guessed around the 20 psi

Quote Originally Posted by strong08 View Post
    Wow I didn't know you guys ran such a low air pressure I would have guessed around the 20 psi
    The tires are huge and the cars are light. The rest is just a matter of math when it comes to figuring out how big you want the contact patch to be.

5-8 pounds in the LR is common. LF and RR anywhere from 8-10. RF anywhere from 9-12.
    Get your pyrometer out and check temps across the tire to get it dialed in but it really depends on your weight percentages.

We don't deviate much from that baseline other than upping the rear tire pressures #2 each for a very rubbered down track.
    Owner/Blogger/Crash Test Dummy
    www.nextlevellatemodel.com

I like to keep it simple and run a 2lb split from left to right. Usually start around 10 left and 12 right. I'm against running that low of air pressure in the left rear. More air pressure gets the tire into the track. To a certain extent.

What you are actually doing to the tire by changing tire pressure is changing the "slip angle" of the tire, which is when the tire will break loose and lose traction. By reducing the tire pressure, you are increasing the slip angle, which increases traction on the track, up to a certain point. You are allowing the sidewall more flex( for lack of a better word) before it exceeds the grip the tire has on the track and spins. Although I understand Tommy-gunns rational, we must remember that the weight from the car is what increases downforce on the tire contact patch. Another thought is the weight you are "moving" in the car ( not really moving, but rather where the earth sees the weight). After the car is scaled and set up, increasing tire pressure will change your weight on each tire. The rule of thumb we have always used is , 1 lb in air pressure change=8 lbs change in weight to that corner AND the opposite corner. For example, 1 lb down in lr, increases lr weight by 8 lbs and decreases rf by the same 8 lbs. just my 2 cents worth