Default Trail vs Stagger

What is better and why? Or should I say what would be better to do per track, conditions, etc? I do not like huge stagger splits on a dry track because I feel from asphalt days it builds or creates too much heat in the tires in he rear. Just want some opinions on what you like etc or anyone who has more experience to chime in. Thanks!

Nothing?... Anything?... This would be the 2nd time I post and can't get any input or help on this topic. I know I can't be the only one wondering...

What are you trying to fix? Every car and driver is different.

I believe trail just like stagger will build heat when you get excessive amounts. The tires are scrubbing, similar to how they scrub when you put a lot of stagger in. I think if you are having trouble getting stagger you can probably use trail to offset it somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by passingtime View Post
    What are you trying to fix? Every car and driver is different.
    Not trying to fix anything just everyone's thought. Dry I never like big stagger split due to heat built up but trail haven't had much experience with as far as what kind of heat you say it would produce. 1" trail we've done on our sport mods and not as much on A mod but it helps free entry on our cars and them on throttle we tend to tighten up and just adjust rebound from there.

It is to hard to check tire temps for me because of the way we have to exit the track, go scale and the distance back to the pit stall. I do track tire wear and always check for feathering (which I very seldom have). I do not like a lot of stagger in my car either, I was on about 2 1/2" (this is on a late model tho, on smaller tires I ran a lot less...even a small amount of reverse in the real slick) last week in the feature and the track was not even dry. I don't like stagger for a different reason...I like the car to stay under me and not all kicked out down the straight and in the corners. I also shorten the right side wheelbase come feature time if it is slick. I run the rear end straight/even otherwise. I am not a setup guru, this is just what works for me, but I hope this helps.
    Last edited by RACR_73s; 08-21-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RACR_73s View Post
    It is to hard to check tire temps for me because of the way we have to exit the track, go scale and the distance back to the pit stall. I do track tire wear and always check for feathering (which I very seldom have). I do not like a lot of stagger in my car either, I was on about 2 1/2" (this is on a late model tho, on smaller tires I ran a lot less...even a small amount of reverse in the real slick) last week in the feature and the track was not even dry. I don't like stagger for a different reason...I like the car to stay under me and not all kicked out down the straight and in the corners. I also shorten the right side wheelbase come feature time if it is slick. I run the rear end straight/even otherwise. I am not a setup guru, this is just what works for me, but I hope this helps.
    I'm not a big stagger fan either. I don't think the tires working against one another makes sense. I believe we have suspension to do all the rear steer we need. I think stagger was a thing of the past when not much rear steer was achieved. That's just my thinking on it. Plus on asphalt it created heat and they're working against one another. Now in the front stagger doesn't bother me since they're independent. But once again just my thinking on it.