Default Falcon tranny problems

transmisson kicks out of high gear on the track, and low/high shifter is really stiff.any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by superstock50 View Post
    transmisson kicks out of high gear on the track, and low/high shifter is really stiff.any suggestions?

Check the detent balls on the top of the case first for proper adjustment. If all is well there take the side cover off and look in there. Look for the slider fork thing that moves the low/reverse gears haven't slide on the shift rod shaft. The same shaft that exit the rear case and have the heims on. likely the top most one, if I can remember right a single set screw retains it and isn't enough in the earlier models. I use a 5/8 locking collar from my local hardware store on mine to prevent this same symptom. Check for broken clutch pack disks while your at it. Don't for get to inspect the rear tail shaft housing seal and bearing. You already in that far anyway.

Thanks I'll give that a try

Quote Originally Posted by superstock50 View Post
    Thanks I'll give that a try
    If you haven't messed with it yet than look at what I found.

Figure #19 the guy is holding the part that's in question while #21 explains the set screw coming loose. I use the set screw and locking collar together to prevent the shift fork from coming loose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks Lizardracing i went this weekend and the dam_ thing wouldn't shift into high for hotlaps, then i wade an adjustment to the linkage..... well it went into high in the heat race then kicked out and wouldn't go back in, so i tighened the set screw on top of the trans then it was stuck in low!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think i am gonna pull it tonight and rebuild it!!!!!!!!!!

not wade i meant made lol