Default High end quick change gears

Are most guys using quartermaster or SCS gear box ? I just blew apart a brand new low drag 8" winters with cheap winter spur gears and obviously I'm not letting that happen again

Were the gears new?

The gears were run maybe 4 times , as the were a much higher 4:86 ratio that you don't use at half miles and what I needed with the 4.11 rear.

The way these cars hook up now days, gears need to be replaced more frequently. However 4 races is not a lot!

http://www.pemracing.com/QCGears.html

Been using these gears this year, they are lighter and do run cooler, the price isn't bad and gets better if you order three or more sets.

I'm going to throw a little Hoo Do Voo Do in this thread. Can yo say the word, Magnesium? Not Mag gears, but the additive they have been taking out of most lubricants.

I first noticed the benefits of this, way back in the late 70s early 80s in engine oil, especially pre lube and break in oil. We where running flat tappet cam that was a bit more than agressive on ramp speed, wich spells disaster for cam lobe surfaces. I found that lubing parts and breaking in with GM's EOS (engine oil supplement) produceed a higher degree of polish, not wear on the cam and lifters. It got me thinking. good for engine, may be good for rear end gears. Started breaking in gears with this and had good results. I switched to regular gear oil with just a little EOS after break in. I have no proof it works, but it's dirt cheap compared to gears. You can take it or leave it for what it's worth.They did seem to run longer and there was a finer polich on them. Someone said they changed the formula on EOS since then. You may want to check, but the ingredient that did the polishing was Magnesium.

I was using Joe Gibbs lube , I hope for $20.00+ a quart it has the necessary additives in it

Magnesium as an oil additive is a detergent/dispersant and doesn't provide any real value in unfiltered applications like rear-end.
    Unless they have changed something pretty recently Gibbs oils do not contain magnesium. They use calcium as a detergent instead.
    The idea of anything used as a detergent is to get the bad stuff suspended in the oil and to the filter so (in theory at least) it isn't doing anything for you as an oil additive in a rear-end.

SCS gear box also has some Mack
    Daddy looking pieces available , the pem gears don't specify what alloy they are , it sounds like 9310 is the premium alloy for that application. I guess I'll call tomorrow and find out.

I would never use that rear end in a true superlate.
    Every time we blew a set of gears,years ago,(knock on wood) ,was on a hooked up track with some slick spots.
    Wheel spin, hook hard,kapow,fun done!
    We have had zero failures since going to Frankland rears and gears.

Did rear brake or just gears?