Thread: Carb question

Default Carb question

So here's the scoop I bought a camaro the carb would shoot gas out the vent when you would turn the motor over. So I put on a known working carb. Vehicle ran fine. I took the old carb apart and did my first rebuild of a carb ever. I put the rebuilt carb on the motor. Hit the ignition button and got nothing. No gas nothing. Fuel pp quit working. Odd. Yes I know. So changed pumps. Engine fires but won't crank. Held throttle open a little engine fires but won't stay running unless you hold throttle open some. Idle screws are out two turns. Secondary float is a little high bc gas flowed out right away. Any suggestions? Holley 4160/1850 carb. Sorry.
    Thanks

When you work the throttle lever does it pump fuel?

Yes the accel pump is squirting I installed the pink 330 cam

I think what you are calling idle screws are your mixture screws. Have you adjusted your idle screw? The one that actually opens the butterflies?

Idle mixture screws and fast idle screw were all adjusted But I can't tell if they are in the right area
    Mixture screws are out tw and a half turns

Assuming you have the Idle set somewhat close,When you have to give it some fuel to keep it running does it stay at a steady rpm or do you have to keep it running off the squirters ? If it is steady,take a look down the venturies and see if it is dripping out the squirters. If it is ,the floats are to set too high and your flooding the motor. What do you have in it for jets ? To big a jet will do the same thing.Did you replace the needle and seat and the float ? The floats like to get old and get heavy and not work correctly .Is it one of the new 1850s without the float adjustment or the old style with the screw and nut ? We race these to. Junk is too kind a word for them lol.