Question Hoosier Tire Compounds: What's the difference in these?

According to the Hoosier Tire Compound Chart, the 1600, D55, WRS, WRS-2, and M40 are all on the same level of soft to firm-ness. If they are all the same hardness, what is the difference? From the top of the chart to the bottom, is there a difference in chemistry that would make some come in slower or faster? If so, which ones are which? Thanks for your input!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know the D55 and the 1600 are the same tire. My 1600's even say D55 on them.
    Owner/Blogger/Crash Test Dummy
    www.nextlevellatemodel.com

Quote Originally Posted by 12doublej View Post
    According to the Hoosier Tire Compound Chart, the 1600, D55, WRS, WRS-2, and M40 are all on the same level of soft to firm-ness. If they are all the same hardness, what is the difference? From the top of the chart to the bottom, is there a difference in chemistry that would make some come in slower or faster? If so, which ones are which? Thanks for your input!
    In some cases, the sidewall construction is different. In others, the only difference is who is getting the kickback.

UMP tires and spec tires have the same casing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The grooving patterns from Hoosier are different also.

Aren't the M10,M20,M30 and M40's real rubber and the 1100-1600 series synthetic rubber?

Quote Originally Posted by Live4DLM View Post
    Aren't the M10,M20,M30 and M40's real rubber and the 1100-1600 series synthetic rubber?
    I was told all Hoosier tires are some sort of blend.

And in that 1000 series, there are tires that like heat and tires that don't. I know you can't put them all under one umbrella at all.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The spec 1600 and crate 55 are identical. Its just like mastersbuilt said, Nesmith gets kickbacks on every crate sold.
    The spec 55 and the WRS are the same deal, same rubber just grooved differently and different sidewall. The WRS is a pretty good tire, we used to run a good bit of those on hard tracks back in the NLMS good ol days. If I had my choice of any 1600,WRS, or 55, I would go with a rib1600. JMO

If the sidewall is the main difference, does anyone know which tire has the best sidewall for dry slick?

Quote Originally Posted by 12doublej View Post
    If the sidewall is the main difference, does anyone know which tire has the best sidewall for dry slick?
    Depends on what you need. The NRM will make your car the tightest.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1