Default Freedom 40 to Randy Hannagan at Atomic

Atomic Speedway FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Freedom 40 to Randy Hannagan
    Pinkerton AMRA Marksman
    Highland Happy, Martin Masterful

By Scott Wolfe

CHILLICOTHE, OHIO- Thirty-seven of the nation's fastest sprint cars made history Saturday night (August 23, 2014) when the Renegade Sprints made their inaugural start at the Atomic Speedway for the 16th Annual Freedom 40. Also making history was Randy "The Hurricane" Hannagan, originally from San Jose, California, who pocketed the $5,000 winner’s paycheck. Hannagan inherited the lead from dominating leader Cole Duncan with two laps to go to win the 2014 version of the Freedom 40 event. Dave Fireball Pinkerton won the shortened AMRA Octane Advanced Services Modified feature; a race that ended with violent flip by Kenny Johnson.
    Despite the high humidity, a large crowd turned out to salute the stars of open wheel racing. Not only did the Renegade Series deliver with a host of talent, they also created a fan-friendly atmosphere that allowed fans to connect with the drivers. Multiple opportunities were given for fans to get up-close and personal with the drivers. Ten of the series cars and drivers set up a meet-and-greet at the front gate to welcome race fans and sign autographs.
    Support features were won by Harley Martin in the Sport Mods, Larry Highland in the Street Stocks and Tim Howard in the Enduro.
    Heavy rains over Thursday and Friday put the race in doubt, but the Atomic crew worked hard to prep the track in adverse conditions. The extra moisture left the track super fast for the races as moisture worked out of the track surface for excellent traction, albeit a few choppy soft spots.
    Like a Greek epic, Saturday's racing unfolded with classic drama. For some it was heartbreak; for others it was heaven. For Shane Helms and the Renegade Series it was a huge success. Excitement filled the air all evening long.
    The first-ever Renegade Sprint feature event saw Caleb Armstrong and Cole Duncan pace the field to starter Frank Lemaster's green flag.
    New Castle, Indiana driver Armstrong took the early lead with a good start over outside pole sitter Cole Duncan. Surviving a caution on lap two for Caleb Helms, and a red on the restart on a flip by Aaron Higgins, Armstrong continued to lead. Armstrong was smooth and fast through the turns with great forward bite off the high side. The young driver led through lap five when he jumped the cushion and spun over the back-chute.
    That spin was followed by a flip by Brian Sabetto who jumped the cushion on the restart following Armstrong's misfortune. Both flip victims, Sabetto and Higgins were ok, but unable to continue.
    With Armstrong restarting on tail, Cole Duncan 'blasted off' in what looked like a dominating drive to victory. Duncan sliced and diced through traffic, turning lap times reflective of qualifying times . Duncan lapped all the way up to sixth place by lap 25 and was working on sixth place Chad Kemenah. Great racing took place throughout the pack among some of the biggest names in racing. Duncan's effort, however, was delightful to watch.
    Young Lady driver Taylor Ferns held a top five most of the race. The young feminine phenom remained poised and fast, holding down a strong third behind Andrew Palker who now had anchored a solid second. Randy Hannagan chased down Ferns by lap 26. Ferns made contact with another car and went headlong into the wall then rode the circumference through turn four before bringing her mount down on all fours on lap 34.
    By this time Duncan was 3/4 lap ahead of his nearest competition. On the restart Duncan again was on a rail and raced some 12 car lengths ahead of the pack. Both Hannagan and Brandon Wimmer blitzed by Palker on the restart, leaving Palker and Danny Smith to battle it out for fifth.
    According to the transponders, Hannagan had the second fastest car on the track. Caleb Helms who had gone a lap down early, actually was turning times faster than the leader Duncan in an effort to dig himself out of a hole. By races' end Helms had charged back into a top ten.
    Duncan continued to drive as if chased by a pack of hungry wolves. Coming around to take the white flag, Duncan's mount slid high above the cushion, caught the turn four concrete and flipped violently into the catch fence. Duncan emerged unscathed but his newly built #49 was badly damaged.
    Hannagan inherited the lead and raced on to the very first Renegade Sprint win. Much to the delight of the fans Hannagan did a wing stand after exiting his mount in victory lane.
    Rounding out the top ten were Randy Hannagan, Brandon Wimmer, Chad Kemenah, Danny Smith, Andrew Palker, Caleb Helms, Dean Jacobs, Mike Terry, Jr., Jesse McCreary, and Mark Imler. Imler came from deep in the pack, while McCreary held his own in the top ten all evening long.
    "I'll tell you what," said a winded Hannagan. "I gotta thank Brad (McCown) and this entire Renegade series. This series is gonna be a great deal."
    "It's really a shame that my car owner Ed Neumeister is not here to see it, but he's probably listening now on the internet. I'd like to thank my crew, Charlie Fisher Engines, and everyone who made it possible to get me here. I was hungry for a win, but I think some guys behind me were just as hungry. (laughing) Ed will probably fix his hauler with the winnings."

"This car was a rocket tonight. We made some wholesale changes and some changes during the open red. It was Cole's race to lose and unfortunately he did. I hated to see that, but Cole is out there racing and knows there are 23 other guys out there behind him. We all race as hard as we can."

"We got ourselves behind in qualifying when the wing fell apart," said second place Brandon Wimmer. "But I can't complain with getting a second here tonight. We fought that qualifying time, but had a good run."
    "I'd like to thank the fans for sticking this deal out," noted third place Chad Kemenah. "Continue to support this series. It is going to be a good deal."
    "We had some things happen tonight, but the bottom line is you can't beat the weather and you gotta deal with it. We appreciate Brad for putting on this show and appreciate the fans for being here."
    Kemenah raced from 9th to third, Terry from 17th to 8th, Jacobs from 19th to 7th, and Imler from 21st to tenth.

Brandon Wimmer was the hard charger in a great run from 18th to second place.
    Heat winners were Dean Jacobs, Mark Imler, Wes McGlumphy, and Brandon Wimmer. Caleb Armstrong won the dash, and Jimmy Nier won the B-main. Jimmy Stinson, two-time Atomic Champion flipped in the dash, doing extensive damage to the Jamie Miller #6. Ryan Myers took a nasty end-for-end flip on the last lap of the B-main and actually transferred while flipping across the line. His mount, however, was unable to continue, thus his position and Stinson's allowed six cars instead of four cars to transfer from the B to the A-main.

Greg Wilson was absent from the sprint event in the hospital with gallstones. Ed Neumeister (Hannagan's owner) was on the sprint line-up, however, Neumeister's rig broke down and he was unable to make repairs.
    In the AMRA Octane/Advanced Services modifieds Dave Fireball Pinkerton took the lead on the first lap, then dueled with Kenny Johnson the entire race. On Lap 15 Johnson's mount went over the cushion then barrel rolled five times hard into the end of the catch fence, tearing down the end anchoring pole and bending another. It took some time to get Johnson extracted, but luckily he emerged ok. The rest of the pack agreed to call the race with Pinkerton scoring the win.
    "The car was great and there was a lot of bite in the track," said Dave Pinkerton. "I knew I had to get the jump on Kenny at the start and that is what made the difference."
    Mike Long was the modified hard charger in a 10th to 4th run.
    Rounding out the top ten were Dave Pinkerton, Rick Venham, Jr., Brian Whiteman, Mike Long, Brian Moore, Kenny Johnson, Matt Holcomb, Seth Daniels, Rick Shutts, and Donnie Miller.
    In the Racer's Edge Street Stock feature Dean Boyd went across the line first, but did not make weight at the scales, handing the win to Larry Highland. Highland had some bad luck early in the year and badly damaged his car at midseason, only to come back stronger than before. Highland held off charges of Justin Poling to secure the win with Adam Jones. "I finally turned my luck around. Finally! It's good to get the win here," said Highland. "I'm ready now for the rest of the season!"
    Highland was also the hard charger of the event.
    Rounding out the line-up were Larry Highland, Justin Poling, Adam Jones, Dave Landman, Tommy Mossbarger, Jamey Adams, Brian McQuay, and Dean Boyd.
    In the C & M Racing Equipment Sport Mods Harley Martin claimed win number six with a great last lap pass over Jason Cottrill. "I didn't have any power steering whatsoever," said Harley Martin. "I just stuck it in high, took the high road and prayed to God it would stick. I'm glad to get out of my dry spell."
    The hard charger was Jason Cottrill in an 8th to 2nd run.
    Rounding out the top ten were Harley Martin, Jason Cottrill, Billy Bowles, Rick Neace, Mike Brust, Jeff Gillman, John Cuckler, Ed Richendollar, Brennan Bobst, and Harold Meadows.
    The Vintage American Race Cars or VARC put on a racing exhibition with Mike Mason taking the heat and John Lawhorn winning the feature in 1860's cageless sprint car.
    $1,707 was raised for the Kevin Ward, Jr. family.
    Tim Howard won the Enduro over Jip Howard.
    For more information please call 740-703-9749 or 740-663-4141 or visit the Atomic Speedway website at <<< www.atomicspeedway.net >>> Atomic is located 12 miles South of Chillicothe, Ohio off SR 23, two miles out Blain Highway between Chillicothe, Ohio and Waverly, Ohio at Alma.
    Racing resumes Saturday, September 6 at Atomic.

THE SUMMARY: August 23, 2014

FREEEDOM 40 ATOMIC SPEEDWAY
    RENEGADE SPRINTS (37)

PINE TREE TOWING AND RECOVERY 410 Sprints
    Fast Time- Cole Duncan 11:722
    Heat One-Dean Jacobs,Jesse McCreary, Travis Philo, Cole Duncan, Caleb Armstrong, Ryan Myers, Adam Strausser, Josh Davis, Mark Coleman, Brandy Bower
    Heat Two-Wes McGlumphy, Jimmy Stinson, Todd Kane, Chad Kemenah, Caleb Helms, Nate Reeser, Bryan Nuckles, Jeff Conrad, Ronnie Blair
    Heat Three-Mark Imler, Nathan Skaggs, Danny Smith, Andrew Palker, Mike Terry, Jr., Aaron Higgins, Cody Gardner, Dean Kester
    Heat Four-Brandon Wimmer, Randy Hannigan, Eddie Slone, Taylor Ferns, Brian Sabetto, Kevin Roberts, Randy Fink, Jimmy Nier, Ryan Broughton

Dash: Caleb Armstrong, Cole Duncan, Andrew Palker, Caleb Helms, Taylor Ferns, Jimmy Stinson

B-Main: Jimmy Nier, Aaron Higgins, Ronnie Blair, Adam Strausser, Ryan Myers, Nate Reeser, Josh Davis, Cody Gardner, Jeff Conrad, Brandy Bower, Brian Nuckles, Kevin Roberts, Randy Fink, Dean Kester, Mark Coleman, Kory Crabtree, Ryan Broughton.

Feature: Randy Hannagan, Brandon Wimmer, Chad Kemenah, Danny Smith, Andrew Palker, Caleb Helms, Dean Jacobs, Mike Terry, Jr., Jesse McCreary, Mark Imler, Ronnie Blair, Josh Davis, Eddie Slone, Cole Duncan, Caleb Armstrong, Taylor Ferns, Jimmy Nier, Todd Kane, Wes McGlumphy,Brian Sabetto,Nathan Skaggs, Travis Philo, Adam Strausser, Aaron Higgins
    Caution: Lap 2 Helms
    Red: Lap 2 Flip Aaron Higgins
    Caution: Lap 5 Caleb Armstrong
    Red: Lap 5 Flip Brian Sabetto
    Caution: Lap 34 Taylor Ferns

Red: Lap 38 Flip Cole Duncan

ADVANCE SERVICES H & C AMRA MODIFIEDS (13)
    Fast Time: Kenny Johnson 15:334
    Heat One-Kenny Johnson, Rick Venham, Jr., Donnie Miller, Joe Hamon, Matt Holcomb, Jake Vickers, Seth Daniels
    Heat Two-Dave Fireball Pinkerton, Steve Clemmons, Brian Whiteman, Brian Moore, Mike Long, Rick Shutts, George Neely

Feature: Dave Pinkerton, Rick Venham, Jr., Brian Whiteman, Mike Long, Brian Moore, Kenny Johnson, Matt Holcomb, Seth Daniels, Rick Shutts, Donnie Miller, Steve Clemmons, George Neely, Jake Vickers, Joe Hamon

C & M Racing Equipment Sport Mods (15)
    Heat One-Brennan Bobst, Mike Brust, Billy Bowles, Steve Noble, Jeff Gillman, John Cuckler, Bryan Filkins, George Neely
    Heat Two-Bob Crace, Jr., Harley Martin, Ricky Neace, Jason Cottrill, Harold Meadows, Ed Richendollar

Feature: Harley Martin, Jason Cottrill, Billy Bowles, Rick Neace, Mike Brust, Jeff Gillman, John Cuckler, Ed Richendollar, Brennan Bobst, Harold Meadows, Steve Noble, John Remy, Bob Crace, Jr., Bryan Filkins

Racer's Edge Supplements Street Stocks (8)
    Heat One- Justin Poling, Adam Jones, Larry Highland, Dave Landman, Tommy Mossbarger, Jamie Adams, Bryan McQuay, Dean Boyd
    Feature: Larry Highland, Justin Poling, Adam Jones, Dave Landman, Tommy Mossbarger, Jamey Adams, Brian McQuay, Dean Boyd

VARC Vintage Feature:
    Heat: Mike Mason, Johnny Lawhorn, Bob Shelhorn
    Feature: Johnny Lawhorn, Mike Mason, (Finishing in no particular order...Terry Wells, Del Leach, Mike Swain, Scott Swain, Bob Shelhorn, Jim McDermott, Tom Howard, Doug Oliver, Gene Steele)
    Enduro: Tim Howard, Jip Howard, Craig Edwards, Robert Binder, Scott Clark, Bubba Hopkins, Bob Stoneburner, JD Broughton, Matt Farler, and Steven Smith.

something needs to be done to the track to get rid of the craters..been rough since it opened back up last year..lots of torn up equipment saturday