Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default lower control arm alignment

I have a blue front rocket and have been having a tight entry issue all season... I have thrown everything under the sun at the car and it doesn't react to my changes. So I decided to string out the car to mainly see how my rear is in the car. All that seems to be fine and so I checked the lower front ball joints and my rf is ahead of my lf by 7/8 of an inch. Could this be my problem? Should I square my lowers and set my caster with my uppers?

The RF is supposed to lead the LF. That is your caster split and helps the car turn in on entry.

The distance between the two lower ball joints will change depending on the caster you are running. Caster split, however, is the difference between the caster on the RF and LF expressed in degrees. Example: If you LF caster is 2 deg. and your RF caster is 4 deg, your caster split is 2 deg.

To answer your question though, thats not your problem. Do you have a setup sheet from Rocket?
    Owner/Blogger/Crash Test Dummy
    www.nextlevellatemodel.com

I use slotted uppers to adjust caster because it doesn't change the wheelbases nearly as much as using the lowers. This is due to the location of snouts on the spindle.
    I personally have never understood the turn-buckle deal on the one-piece lowers. It's completely useless to me. I'm not going to put the lower in a bind to adjust caster which is the only thing you do with that deal in my opinion.

How did you determine the right front is 7/8 " in front of left side, from the rear end? The more lead in the right front the tighter, less lead looser. I square my car from the rear forward. the frame rail on the top front of the fuel cell is about the only square bar i have found on the rocket blue front. square the rear end from this bar than go forward to the lower zirks on the lower control arms to determine square or lead. Than set caster with upper adjustable a arms.

If you are running your rr trailing arms 1/2" longer,thats standard according to their setup book, then the addl 3/8" is not out of line due to the caster split. Every dlm I have worked on has had a longer right side wheelbase.

As others have stated, I don't believe that is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt23h View Post
    How did you determine the right front is 7/8 " in front of left side, from the rear end? The more lead in the right front the tighter, less lead looser. I square my car from the rear forward. the frame rail on the top front of the fuel cell is about the only square bar i have found on the rocket blue front. square the rear end from this bar than go forward to the lower zirks on the lower control arms to determine square or lead. Than set caster with upper adjustable a arms.
    I was measuring my points off of the motor plate and car at ride height. Like I said I think the rear is OK I just think 7/8" is excessive on the front. So square on the front is where I need to be on the lowers?...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslinger71 View Post
    I was measuring my points off of the motor plate and car at ride height. Like I said I think the rear is OK I just think 7/8" is excessive on the front. So square on the front is where I need to be on the lowers?...

I have used 3/8" lead in right front in the past. I now use square on the front with the wide front end and use the rear end to control rear steer , lead or trail. It is really a driver feel issue. my driver prefers the front square and do all adjustments on the rear.

Can someone explain to me the exact procedure to squaring your front end ? And also what are the neutral bar lengths for blue front end rocket ? I keep seeing everyone saying standard now is 1/2 inch longer then the original? Sorry to dig up and old post! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslinger71 View Post
    That's how the car is supposed to be in the front the RF leads LF that helps it turn it even if rear end is perfectly square to the car the RF to LF relationship helps. Your problem is elsewhere. Post your setup maybe you can find it that's a good car

im with you dirt23h on running the front square. as far as squaring the front end, my understanding is most manufacturers standard front end. lower control arm measurements would be considered square, as its built into the design of there chassis. I keep my lowers on the recommended settings and set caster with uppers. if anyone has a system of squaring the front that will work on any chassis, I would like to know also...

So basically I should set my lower length from hiem to grease fitting , how do you set the forward mounting point ? I was told to set the caster with the lower mount and leave the upper square to the frame and the lead is basically built inn setting it that way but ..... Considering the source I would rather a second opinion .

I have some opinions on this that many disagree with but here it is anyway.
    A one piece lower control arm is essentially two sides of a rigid triangle with the third side being the imaginary line between the chassis mounting points that will remain rigid because it's length cannot be changed.
    Using the "turn buckle" device to set caster puts the whole thing in a bind. Period.
    I simply don't think that's good from a mechanical standpoint. So I'm a fan of setting caster using slotted uppers. People will argue this by saying that I am changing the wheelbase/lead by adjusting it this way. To which I counter by asking them to explain how they aren't doing the same thing (and even worse actually) by setting it with the lower. And here is what I mean by the "even worse": The spindle snout (where the center of the wheel will be) is WAY closer to the lower ball joint than it is the upper. The only way to change caster is to move one or the other fore or aft. So moving the lower has a much larger impact on the location of that wheel than moving the upper the same amount due to how much closer it is to the snout.
    I would set the length of the traditional part of the lower to EXACTLY the length specified and then set the length of the strut part to whatever does NOT put it in a bind. If doing it THIS WAY does NOT put the lead/wheelbase where it needs to be, then the control arm is WRONG, not the way I'm adjusting it.
    Then set the camber and caster entirely with the upper because it will have MINIMAL impact on the lead/wheelbase. There will be a bunch of people say that this is wrong and it may be but I don't think putting suspension components in a bind is the proper way to do anything. I think doing it with the turnbuckle "solution" is compensation for poorly designed and/or fabricated components.

Yeah I would have to say I agree more with that then litteraly having to flex my lower to get it to mount up! Also is there supposed to be any spacers or anything on the front mounting point ? It's a 2014 with raised cross member. Same question for the left side ! I appreciate everyone for taking the time to explain these things !

My barry wright book always told me to out my rf 1/4 in front of the left front. So for 5 years I did that. Then I swapped to a different shock builder and told him the issues I was having and my settings and he said to never lead the right front. He told me to put it square or put the left front ahead by 3/16. So I lead the left front and my car has never steered into the corner as well as it does now.

Leading the left front makes sence to me when I visualize it but this is the first I have heard of someone actually doing it! I'm going to attempt to try it square and go from there !

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket5353 View Post
    Yeah I would have to say I agree more with that then litteraly having to flex my lower to get it to mount up! Also is there supposed to be any spacers or anything on the front mounting point ? It's a 2014 with raised cross member. Same question for the left side ! I appreciate everyone for taking the time to explain these things !
    That's a good car set it up geometry wise how the book tells you. That's cars are pretty good on entry so post what you have under it will Probably be more helpful then messing with the front end

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    That's a good car set it up geometry wise how the book tells you. That's cars are pretty good on entry so post what you have under it will Probably be more helpful then messing with the front end
    I agree with you 7up! Every Blue Rocket I have worked with turned very well, sometimes too well. I would make sure everything in the front end is set to Rocket specs. Im not saying that you cant improve their std setup but I believe there are setup problems elsewhere.
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

I'm going to open a can of worms here.

Someone want to explain this theory, that leading/trailing the RF over the LF can/will make the car turn/not turn differently??

Lets for argument sake, say a change of 1/2" or even 1" take your pick. Remember a 1/2" change is a half of 1% of the actual wheel base (typical 104" wheel base).

I have drawn 2 cars both the same only difference is the pink car has front tires inline and the blue car has the RF lead .5". Caster is the same on both cars as is the caster split, only difference is either the control arm mounting points are moved on the frame to get the lead or your doing your caster with the uppers vs the lowers to get a lead on the RF.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 09-30-2015 at 09:48 PM.

If this is a crate Blue front end rocket if its who i think it is. Drop the rear a lot from rockets baseline and up the LS.